a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

suncat on the ICW

Started by patch, January 31, 2010, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patch

i would thnk the suncat would be a great boat to singlehand down the ICW from norfolk va to the florida keys.shallow draft,with the mastender bridges are no problem.my 6 hp engine should be more than enough power.any body have any ideas on this subject.have not sold my suncat,may keep it.have i broached this subject in the past.

Craig Weis

Patch my Dad motored one of his boats down the ICW, Chicago to Fla. Only problem was in the Golf, following the chart, put him on the windward side of an island in a big blow. Took on some water up to the midway point on the vibration damper on the twin 383's inboard/outboards. Had to pump and bail with a 5 gallon pail to keep up. Said he should have been on the lee side and drop hook.

skip

Suncat a Lula

Sounds like a great trip to me!  Most of the bridges you will clear, even with the mast up.  Definitely the greatest Compac because it is so easy to lower the mast, when necessary.  Let me know when you are coming down the ICW;  I would love to meet and sail with you when in the Central Florida area. (Titusville)
Brian

patch

be on the atlantic side.can leave my truck and trailer at a marina on the icw in murrells inlet sc.my family situation has changed,so i may be able to get away for a few months this fall.it seams to be a nice easy cruise,from sc all the way to the keys.bridges can be a pain,but with the suncat just drop the mast and cruise on by.shallow draft is also a big plus.my question is what is the down side of a suncat on the icw.

patch

if i go it will be after labor day.maybe early oct.

wordnut

No worries about bridges on the ICW for a Suncat, guys. The lowest fixed bridge is 56 feet between Norfolk and Miami. And most bridges allow a 65 ft. clearance.

patch

whats that old saying;man plans God laughs.at my age every lost opportunity to sail the ICW is another foot in the grave.want to do it just to say i did it.when you have the time you don't have the money.when you have the money you don't have the time.combining the time with the money is the secret.i hate to do any thing on the cheap.lot of nice places to visit on the ICW.Murrel's inlet SC to key west should be a nice leisurely sail.my family responsibilities are changing every day.by oct who knows.that why i implore you younger guys if you get the chance just do it.