a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wiring in 95 degree heat.....

Started by brackish, July 28, 2010, 05:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

....ain't so much fun.  Finished wiring and installing my man/auto bilge pump and float switch.  Working up under the panel in the heat not pleasant particularly when shrinking the heat shrink splices.  But it is done.  Second time.  First switch, after I installed it, I pulled off the protective film and the silk screen paint came off of the switch plate with it.  Sea Sense replaced it but didn't offer to wire it in. :(  The last thing to do is to pick the spot I want to put a hole in the boat for the thru hull.  Probably under the boarding ladder.  Hose is sitting there, I'm still contemplating.

Friday I go up and install a new fresh water system for both the sink and a washdown hose.  Was short one fitting and one tool today (story of my life).  New reinforced tubing, larger diameter to match the new pump and faucet, silcock for the washdown hose,  and another session under the panel to wire it in.  Want to give it a dedicated breaker so I'm moving stereo, VHF, and 12V auxiliary to "Cabin" breaker (only two cabin lights on there now, all these devices individually switched) and another 5 screw bus to handle all the ring terminals.  Will use the the vacated breaker for the pump. 

Too hot and still to sail, might as well torture myself under that panel.  Be ready for Fall, better sailing weather then in this area of the country.

newt

They say only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun...

Craig Weis

I feel your pain brother.

Heck it's usually well above 95 deg F when we were hanging isolation panels to silence the two or three German MAN V-16 [4000kw each] engines and two John Deere in-line 6 cylinder gen-pacs with tons of electric switch gear in the engine room of Palmer Johnson Yachts sitting dockside in the hot sun of Sturgeon Bay. No window allowed by Lloyd's of London specs and very little ventilation 'cept for the duct into the engines so they can breath. The exhaust muffler cans stand 42 inch in dia and over 6 foot tall and each weighs over 400 lb. They have to be muscled in manually! And then a festoon of piping fitted. The only way in for these guys is a cut hole in the upper [overhead] deck than a man only water proof hatch and ladder is welded back in. It's a squeeze.

skip.

Salty19

Brack-  Ouch.   

That will teach you to sit around all winter.  :)   Just kidding of course. 

What's important is that the job was done correctly and with quality measures taken.   Even if it was the second time.
Nothing I hate more than a lousy installation job. 

Skip-  Wow.  I really enjoy reading your experiences with yacht building.    Pretty amazing what can be done and how it's done.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603