a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How to put pictures in your post

Started by CaptK, September 22, 2004, 01:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptK

Here's how to do this using the CPYOA resources I set up.

Go to the Gallery page http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/ , join and then upload your image there (it can be up to 2M in size, at resolutions up to 1024x1024 pixels).

After you upload it, go back to the Gallery home page, and then navigate to whichever category you put the picture in, and click on it to view the picture.

OK, this next part is going to depend on how your browser works. Probably, you can right-click on the picture, and select "Properties" or "Image Properties" or "View Image" - something like that - so you can see the URL the picture is at.

Update: Ah-Hah! micorsoft Internet Exploder *won't let you see the actual image URL* (it's hidden by the Copyright notice). Let me figure out a workaround for this for those of you who use IE.

Update #2: Here is one easy way to get past the Copyright notice, if you have a mouse with a middle button (or a scroll wheel that serves the same purpose): Hold down the middle button while you right-click, then select "Properties" to see the image URL.

Update #3: OK, the Copyright-notice-on-right-click thingy is disabled. Even when using IE, a right-click should allow you to view the image Properties, and from there get the actual image URL. This was tested with IE5.5 Would anyone who uses a different version verify that it works with that version of IE for me? Post your results below, indicating which version of IE you have. Thanks!

If you put an image into the CPYOA Gallery, it's URL will be something like:

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/data/media/23/WhatYouNamedIt.jpg

(Note #1: this one is fake, just for demonstration)

(Note #2: any image URL will work, not just the Gallery URL, in the instructions which follow)

Once you have the URL (select it, right click and Copy it is an easy way to "capture" it), click the "Img" button above the text input box here on the Forum, paste the URL in after the {img} tag that is inserted into your post, then click the "Img*" button again.

That's it! It takes longer to write how to do it than it does to do it, after you've done it once or twice. :)

I usually click "Preview" before Submit to make sure it comes out right before posting.

Post here in this topic if you have any problems.   :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Pappy

Hey K
  Can't seem to get tothe page to post pic of my boat...keep getting error message 404...page cannot be found
  Any suggestions?

Bob

CaptK

Pappy -

DOH! When I typed it in, I gave it a comma it should not have. Try it now. Sorry! :)

sailFar.net

Pappy

Hey Captain
  I've gotten logged in and found the pic pages, but I don't see anyway or button to "upload" pictures....Duh...can ya help a poor ol' sailor?

CaptK

Sure thing, Pappy!

Once you are logged in, go to whichever category you would like to put the picture into, and there should be an "Upload" button visible in the upper right corner of the page that you can use. Click on that, and you get the page that allows you to select the picture from your puter, label it, and add any comments that you want. :)

We'll get it workin for you!

sailFar.net

bob lamb

Hey CaptK
  I gave up on posting a pic of my little ship a few weeks ago.  Now that the frustration of my ignorance is over I'd like to try again.  I don't quite understand the URL thing/lingo necessary to post pic.
  My picture is saved in MS Word...it's also listed on the compacowners yahoo site under IThinkICan.  Is it possible for you to do this for me?  Is it possible for me to do it myself? :cry:

Pappy

CaptK

Sure thing, Bob. I'll do it step-by-step, so you can copy the steps, and also so others can reference them if needed. Some of our confusion from earlier may be due to the fact that I thought you were linking to a photo in the CPYOA Gallery, and not the Yahoo CP list Files section. :)

(I tested this - it seemed to work, BUT I was logged into Yahoo. We'll see....)

First, log in to Yahoo and go to the Files section where your photo is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/files/IThinkICan/

Then, click on the picture link to view the picture. Clicking the link opens a new page, at this address (this is a really long URL, it may well be different to you... ):

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8ImPQcZVG5RxMXEL0IhQ0MazyBTlDJRB-hZCJpa06e0OtsiqUqQOsh_Gem6fhhUfinsI4ktMKUBJxao9kw/IThinkICan/Mvc-001s.jpg

Then, right click on the picture itself, to find it's specific address. (In this case, it is the same as the URL in the Address Bar at the top of your browser window (the long URL I posted above).) Copy the image URL. (Select the URL text, right-click and Copy it.)

Click the "Img" box above the text box where you are typing in your post here. That will put the following text [img] at the end of your post. Put (or Paste) the image URL after the above {img} code, then click the "Img" box again. That puts a [/img] after your image URL, and now your picture should load.

The complete line which inserts your image would look similar to this after you typed it in, before you Submit the post:

[img]http://www.url.com/This_is_the_image.jpg[/img]

---------------------------

Note: If the picture was in the CPYOA Gallery, it would have it's own URL different from the page URL where it was located that you could get via "Image Properties" or "Copy Image Location" after right-clicking, depending on your browser. You could then Select the text of the URL, Copy it, then Paste it into your post.

sailFar.net

spayment

I've tried several times to post a picture of my CP-14 to the image gallery without success...  I'm logged in, go to CP14 gallery, click upload, select my picture (.jpg) format within size constraints given, fill in the blanks on the upload form and click submit...  A new page opens showing my picture and telling me that picture will be posted once "verified"?

Upon return to the CP14 gallery it still says ZERO pictures available...  I tried posting to the Owner Pages area as well with the same result...  

Any suggestions?  I really think the site needs at least ONE picture of the "mysterious" CP-14...

thx!
Shawn

CaptK

Shawn - fixed. Also, I went ahead and made an Owners category for you and your boat. What is her name? Might I suggest "Elusive"? :D

Thanks for the pics, been wondering what they looked like.

sailFar.net

spayment

She had no name when I got her but I'm planning to officially dub her the "Flying Monkey" upon re-launch!  (Hence the avatar...)

Thx for the help with the pix!

With luck, sailing pix will soon follow...