a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cat boat centerboard issues and pointing ability

Started by kickingbug1, January 09, 2010, 03:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

seems like i read something a while back that talked about centerboard issues (namely leaks) on either a suncat or horizon cat, i presently sail a 16-1 and havent had a centerboard boat in years. are leaks a concern?   i have also been told that cat boats dont go to weather at good as a com=pac sloop. has anyone been a previous cp16 owner who can compare the two? thanks
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Suncat a Lula

I have had the pleasure of owning a Compac 16, without a centerboard, and now own a Compac Suncat.  The Suncat, when properly sailed, will point as high, or higher than the Compac 16.  The centerboard, which is inside the keel, allows the boat to go better to weather.  Also, it is very important to not oversheet the sail on the Suncat.  As to the supposed leaking, the only time this is experienced in both my Suncat and in a Compac 19xl I have in California, is water coming into the cockpit thru the centerboard pendant (the line which raises and lowers the centerboard).  This is not a problem with the centerboard itself; the water drains right out the scuppers.

Potcake boy

I own a 19 at present and owned a Picnic Cat for a year or so.  I have owned boats of all designs and will say this about Compacs: they are one of the best out there for bringing together design compromises into a boat that does all the things it should do from excellent to suitable, and with good construction quality and good looks.  Understanding a design is the best way to appreciate a boat, and not expecting it to be something it isn't.  These are not racing boats but will perform quite satisfactorily in most conditions if sailed correctly.  My first suggestion is to have good sails - because they don't have tears or damage doesn't mean they will perform well.  Sails with too deep a shape will not point high.  I replaced the sails on my 19 that were only 5-6 years old because I wanted a flatter cut.  With good sails, the next point to keep in mind is not to pinch up as this will reduce your speed and cause excessive leeway.  You'll lose any gain in compass to drift.  So ease the boat off the wind a bit when beating and trim for the best speed.  You'll find that it gets you to windward pretty good.  Apply the same method to both of these designs and you'll get the best performance from each.

Each design has it's own strong points:
The 19 is a surprisingly fast boat on a reach or off the wind.  I get a good average speed for a small boat on longer cruises.
The Picnic Cat sails to weather in light to moderate wind quite nicely if you don't pinch up.  I'm sure the same can be said about the other Compac cats.

It's probably not a marketing reality, but I would like to see Hutchins offer a lead version of the Scheel keel on their smaller boats.  It seems to have been very successful on the 35.  It would maintain the shallow draft we all love but give better windward performance.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

kickingbug1

i agree that a cp16 isnt particularly great when going to weather. as i have purchased new sails for this coming season i know i will do much better. like all sailors i do tend to pinch a bit but over the two years i have sailed my 16 i do know her limitations. i asked my questions mainly since if i do go to a larger boat , it will have to be one easily rigged. being a trailer sailor and a bit of a lazy bum the rigging of a horizon cat appeals to me. im too spoiled backing her in the garage after a days sail. thanks for the info
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Steve Ullrich

Kickingbug - I realize I'm slidding a bit off topic but a couple of your comments caught my attention... Being able to keep her in the garage is a huge plus for me as well.  I had my 16 in the drive way right after I purchased her... until a gentleman came to my door late one night to warn me that she was out in the middle of the road.  Kids or other idiots pulled the chocks and let her roll out in the road.  And, speaking of spoiled, another option is to keep her on a slip or mooring ball as I did with a previous and somewhat larger boat that was difficult to trailer sail.  That really spoiled me. I miss being able to just hop on my boat and go sailing with family or friends without spending any time rigging, launching, retrieving and de-rigging.  I do love the freedom of being able to sail more places though.  I'm currently thinking of buying a 30 footer to keep on Superior or Pepin. I'd keep the 16 too so I could continue to make the trips around the state or quick afternoon day sails close to home.  Maybe the best of both worlds?

Quote from: kickingbug1 on January 10, 2010, 09:48:46 AM
   i agree that a CP16 isn't particularly great when going to weather. as i have purchased new sails for this coming season i know i will do much better. like all sailors i do tend to pinch a bit but over the two years i have sailed my 16 i do know her limitations. i asked my questions mainly since if i do go to a larger boat , it will have to be one easily rigged. being a trailer sailor and a bit of a lazy bum the rigging of a horizon cat appeals to me. I'm too spoiled backing her in the garage after a days sail. thanks for the info
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

kickingbug1

if i could afford a larger boat with a slip i sure would but alas i cant so i will continue to trailer sail my 16. i beat my record last year and had her in the water in 25 minutes singlehanded. i guess with my crew helping its like 20 minutes. the freedom to hitch her up and try another lake sure is nice too. sure hope you can make the rendezvous---think we will have a special prize for the furtherest traveled.

tmorgan

I have a 2007 model Sun Cat and have no had the centerboard leaking issues I have seen in the blogs.  Hopefully, SunShower will remain dry!  Sun Cats point well enough to windward that the cruiser does not have to worry about it.