a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib, genoa fairlead

Started by B.Hart, February 11, 2005, 06:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.Hart

I am interested in finding out what others do when flying a genoa,(i think   mines a 150+)with fairlead location. :? I am thinking of putting a traveler on the cockpit coaming. any suggestions? :?

multimedia_smith

I have the tracks and I use them all the time.
All the way back to add twist and fill the Genoa/Jib in light wind.
All the way forward to pull down when using the Whisker pole.
In between as required to reduce twist.

You might look into the boom Kicker/vang combo for shaping the main.

Dale

B.Hart

Thanks for the reply,I know I have seen a set-up like that in the picture gallery,thought it wold be more common. I have the bracket on the boom and the mast step for a vang, I just need the rest of the hardware.

Craig

You've got one of the originals with a 1975.  Mine is titled as a 1980, but the ID # says it was built in 1979.  What that means is you have a boat that can be upgraded! Com-Pac sells all the hardware necessary to add the genoa tracks and a traveler. Before you buy the parts separately contact the factory for the price of a complete kit. While I have not yet made the upgrade you're thinking of, by buying from the factory you will get the tracks at the right length and the right curve for the cockpit.

Craig

B.Hart

Great idea going to the factory. I have been planing to go (it's only a 90minute drive from where I live) just have to take a day and go!           Upgrade is a understatement,my 16 could not be any simpler,and I have lots of plans to make her more sailing friendly. So many plans,so little time.I have been planing to rework the cabin,after 30 years shes got a little bad wood,but sunday I am going sailing,THATS what it's all about.

B.Hart

Great idea going to the factory. I have been planing to go (it's only a 90minute drive from where I live) just have to take a day and go!           Upgrade is a understatement,my 16 could not be any simpler,and I have lots of plans to make her more sailing friendly. So many plans,so little time.I have been planing to rework the cabin,after 30 years shes got a little bad wood,but sunday I am going sailing,THATS what it's all about.

Craig

Quotebut sunday I am going sailing,THATS what it's all about.

You're making me JEALOUS!!

Craig

B.Hart

Sunday was a nice sail. 78 degres winds 5-10 and sunny :D Could of used the tracks once again. I kept the genoa tied to the back cleat most of day.

B.Hart

Sunday was a nice sail. 78 degres winds 5-10 and sunny :D Could of used the tracks once again. I kept the genoa tied to the back cleat most of day.