a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Started by dserrell, November 07, 2009, 09:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dserrell

kchunk

That's surprising that your chain locker doesn't drain into the bilge. Is there any way to make it drain? That's really about the only way to prevent the locker from getting all mungy. My Catalina, if I recall, had a drain hole in the hull at the bow. If you can't get it to drain to the bilge you might be able to find a way to make it drain straight out from the bow...

Speaking of anchors...I replaced my hawse pipe last year. The small pipe that came from the manufacturer seemed way too small. Felt like I was threading a needle every time I was retrieving the anchor. I don't have a picture of the hawse pipe per se, but in the pic below you can see it on the bow.

Replacing it was very easy, remove the old one, cut the hole bigger and secure the new one in place. The lid is spring loaded closed and locks open when needed. An easy mod and was only 50 bucks!

https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4315&Category_Code=

Craig Weis

NA! Don't put any more deck holes in the boat. We don't put the 'chain' rode down into the chain locker.

Speaking only for myself, my 3 strand nylon non-rotting rode usually comes up out of the deep with no mud, stains, or crud attached to it. The Danforth anchor usually is grass covered and may bring up a Door County rock or two.

I usually pull the rode way too fast to feed the rode down the round factory rope and capped pipe. I see your thinking about an oval rope pipe. Why? For the chain? My vinyl coated chain lays on deck and stays put via the fact that is remains arched and stiff enough not to slide around.

I pile the rode on deck because now I need to start controlling the boat, [No crew, I sail by myself] having pulled the anchor and don't have time to attend to the rode business till 'out-to-sea'. Once the boat is safe then I heave-too or toss in the ForeSpar Tiller Minder and go forward to feed the now drained and almost dry rode back down into the rope pipe in a helter-skelter fashion. I use to roll the rode up on a small drum I made years ago but have tossed that idea and drum off the boat. It worked like KA-KA.

So I don't smell a thing [the first sign of a brain tumor] and no dirt/oils/and soils goes below.

The two chain lockers in each Palmer Johnson Yacht holds 100 fathoms of stainless steel and polished chain!! Each locker floor plate is perforated aluminum and that drains to a sump and when flooded enough a pump pumps the sea water over the side. Chain lockers are located in front of the collision bulkhead and are quit the armored affair.

skip.