News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The RIGHT Way For Nav Lights-Steaming Light-Anchor light.

Started by Craig Weis, November 12, 2009, 03:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Weis

" Tell us what you've done to make your CP even better! "

This is so weird. nies just asked about wiring and should he solder? I was just writing this and took time to answer nies question...are we on the same wave length or what? I mean about wiring.

OK, a pet peeve of skip's is that many sail boats under sail at night show the red/green/white [or tricolor] lamps which is correct.

At night with the sails down and the motor moving the boat add the Steaming light with the Navigation light. This is correct.

But to show the Navigation, Steaming and toss in the Anchor light at night while under sail, with or without the engine running, and the skipper is in violation of Coast Guard rules. And what I teach in the USPS Boat Smart Class.

Come on people; when at anchor here is a way to assure only the anchor light shows and no steaming light or navigation light will show.

I was rewiring and soldering up my navigation lights. BINGO!!! The use of two way switches would make it impossible to display the navigation and steaming lights when at anchor when the anchor light is switched on.

Caboose

Could you do your diagram in a simple ladder type diagram?

Craig Weis

Salty19

Skip-thank you for the diagram.   Looks like the most foolproof way to set up lighting.  thanks again.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603