a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

155% genoa question

Started by adschmid, July 24, 2009, 03:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Ullrich

Ive always been a little afraid of spinakers. I've seen boats broach with them up.  But, after a few outings in light air I can see why you favor one. I'll watch eBay and see if I can come up with something workable.  I have an extra spinaker pole in the garage from back when I owned an O'Day 20.  I can probably make that work for me on a run...

Quote from: Potcake boy on August 13, 2009, 10:37:42 AM
Hey 16 owners - if you sail in an area of generally light air you may want to consider a asymmetrical spinnaker.  You can get more sail area and more of it up high (relatively speaking) on our short masts, compared to a genoa.  You can sail upwind with a fairly flat cut like a North G3, and use it effectively off the wind - even dead downwind with a pole.  Rigging is also simpler in that all you need is a halyard and use the stern cleats as sheeting points.  Because of the relatively low loads the halyard can be used to control the luff tension.  Use a penant on the tack of the sail with a snap shackle on the bow pulpit for a quick release when dousing.  You can either use a sleeve to douse - works nice, or douse by blanketing with the main then recovering the sail under the boom into the bag in the cockpit. Sailing a spinnaker is a real blast and the only thing to keep in mind is the same general precaution - reduce sail before you are forced to do so.  Spinnakers can get freaky when overpowered like any other sail combination, but in different ways, so if you're sailing downwind and gusts are pushing you to the limit it is probably time to douse.  You don't bring a boat head to weather with a spinnaker up.

This was the choice I made for my 19 because I wanted to keep the simplicity of the furling jib and fixed sheeting angles.  These boats don't point any higher because of the shoal keel so bigger sails will just give you more power in light air.  There is a big difference between a 40' J boat flying a 150 to windward, and our modest pocket yachts.  I always remind everyone that these aren't race boats but that doesn't mean they aren't fun to sail, and a spinnaker adds much to that fun.

Ron
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Potcake boy

Steve - the North G3 I use is a relatively small and flat cut - it is probably more like a nylon screacher than a full cut spinnaker.  It is pretty easy to control, and not so likely to do the freaky things spinnakers are known for doing.  I was broad reaching in 15-18 knots one fine day and took my focus off my steering just long enough for the boat to be skewed around upwind by a quarter wave.  The flogging was not too bad, but when the spinnaker again filled on the reach the shock to my rigging was pretty obvious.  It was enough to make me realize that I was past due on dousing the spinnaker.  That's the big problem with spinnakers - when they are set and drawing nicely it's just so hard to bring yourself to putting them away.  After you have set and sailed a spinnaker enough to get comfortable with the procedure you'll have the confidence to pull her out every opportunity.  I got mine in solid white for the classic look. From North it was about $500 then I spent another couple hundred for a sleeve and turtle bag from Shaw - Chutescoop.  I have purchased from Shaw before and recommend their products.  I prefer their Chute scoop to ATN in part because the hoop is less bulky, and yes you can douse or reduce (reef) the sail while it is drawing which makes it even easier in a tricky situation to get the spinnaker under control.

P.S. Almost all of my sailing is either single handed or with non-crew aboard.  I do depend heavily on TillerMon my tiller pilot, the best crew I've ever had.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

multimedia_smith

I just got a "Drifter" (assymetrical spinnaker) last fall from Dirk at National Sails... I think it was around $180... not bad.
It works great in light air and you can still get upwind if you sheet in close... but the most fun is on a reach in NO air.
Cheers
Dale
Here's a pic

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/photos/album/712582202/pic/1604656894/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&dir=asc

don l

multimedia_smith,

thanks for the post and picture!   We have been thinking about a light air sail.  This looks great.

Steve Ullrich

Dale, I'm registered with Yahoo now and I can finally see the pictures.  Nice Drifter, much like the one I had on my Hunter 23 for light air. I'm going to buy one for my CP-16. Thanks for the suggestion. Just what I need for those days when the winds are closer to 5mph. I just hate it when I'm just floating around out there, especially when I have to deal with wake that slaps the boom around.

Steve

Quote from: multimedia_smith on August 16, 2009, 05:22:02 AM
I just got a "Drifter" (assymetrical spinnaker) last fall from Dirk at National Sails... I think it was around $180... not bad.
It works great in light air and you can still get upwind if you sheet in close... but the most fun is on a reach in NO air.
Cheers
Dale
Here's a pic

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/photos/album/712582202/pic/1604656894/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&dir=asc

multimedia_smith

Dirk Sharland in Fla handles Rolley Tasker in the U.S. 
The nice thing is that he has kept the dimensions of the sails we have designed together...
Heavy air main, Storm Jib, 155 cut for pennant, new jib, and Drifter... dimensions for which are below.

15'2" luff
5'5" from tack shackle to front edge of mast
14' from tack to stern sheeting point of genoa track cam cleat.
Lightweight nylon piston hanks
Bottom third- Blue
Middle third - White
Top third - Red

His Contact info is below... good luck
Dale

Dirk Sharland
National Sail Supply, LLC (Rolly Tasker Sails, Florida)
26092 Withrow Rd
Brooksville, FL 34601
1-800-611-3823
fax 813-200-1385
from outside of US 352-540-9101
www.nationalsail.com

Brian 1851

Hi Dale, I have a couple of questions for you.  What is the wind range of you drifter compared to your 155% genoa?  Is your drifter about 70 sq ft?

Craig Weis

My 'barge' only has a 155% headsail. And this lapper stops it's foot right at the closed, most sternward edge of the companionway hatch on my Com Pac-19.
IF i'm going to hold tac for a few hours and the wind is light I'll be tempted to break out the asymetrical spinnaker and once set think about the main. But that's a lot of work for one scruffy sailor when he's trying to get some shut eye with the tiller Forespar'ed down. Yea I have fallen asleep under sail. We all do dumb things.
skip.

multimedia_smith

I use the 155 for most conditions, however I got the "drifter" assymetrical last fall... and it IS a lot of fun, especially in lighter air
Here's a pic of the new Drifter...  sorry I can't seem to past images... but you can find this pic on the "other" Com Pac site

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/com-pac/photos/album/712582202/pic/1604656894/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=asc

When I click the icon to "insert image"... I can't seem to paste into the cursor area between the "(img) words...
Can anybody give me some direction?
Thanks in advance
Dale

Craig Weis

Here is a test for posting.

I started the verbage of this post. Modify this Post and minimize this post.
I logged on to my Photobucket.
I select the picture in Photobucket I want to post by placing the cursor on this picture. A drop down menu happens.
I put the cursor on the box below the picture and above the drop down menu. And left clicked this box. The pic is highlighted.
I left click 'Direct Link' in the drop down menu. Then go up and under 'Edit' in the tool bar I left click 'Copy'.
I maximize my 'Modify Message' parked at the bottom of the 'Start' tool bar, or whatever it's called.
I place the cursor and left click within the verbage of the post where I want to place a picture from my Photobucket.
I go up to the tool bar of the Modified Post Message.
I left click 'Image insert' above the post. That's the icon that looks like a framed pic of a yellow beach w/ trees in the back ground.
I see this [Img]winking cursor[Img] where I'm placing the picture. The cursor stays put and then...
I right click and then right click paste.
I see the 'Direct Link' code between these [img] [Img] things for all three pictures I'm posting out of Photobucket.
Each picture from Photobucket is posted one at a time.
I remember to un-click the check marked box under each posted picture. Otherwise the same picture will be posted again.
I click 'Save' and I should see three pictures plus this verbage in the post.
I kept modifying this post till I got it right. I took careful notes in order to provide this guide.
Took about an hour.
skip.

multimedia_smith

HI Skip,
Thanks for taking the time on the photo notes...  Does this mean that I have to load my photos into PhotoBucket first?  I'm not a member of that service.

Oh... and an answer to a question a couple of posts back... The Drifter is good from practically no wind up to about 10.
The 155 is good for "enough wind to sail" up to about 15... although I have been caught in building conditions with the 155 and if you point high enough, it's OK... but you'll wish you had the 110 on.  The 60% "storm jib" is good from about 18 up.
Best to y'all.

Great cartoons Skip.

Dale

Steve Ullrich

Yes, you have to load your pictures on Photobucket first.  It is a free service and the process is very easy.

http://s556.photobucket.com/

The "direct link" that you can copy for pictures is the method used to attach pictures to your profile as well. Just crop them square first or they will be distorted.

Quote from: multimedia_smith on October 10, 2009, 02:20:36 AM
Does this mean that I have to load my photos into PhotoBucket first?  I'm not a member of that service.

multimedia_smith

Thanks Skip... OK "here goes nothin'" (hopefully not)

Let's see if this works... ain't technology somethin'?
Thanks
Dale

For those who missed it... here's Skip's instructions:
I started the verbage of this post. Modify this Post and minimize this post.
I logged on to my Photobucket.
I select the picture in Photobucket I want to post by placing the cursor on this picture. A drop down menu happens.
I put the cursor on the box below the picture and above the drop down menu. And left clicked this box. The pic is highlighted.
I left click 'Direct Link' in the drop down menu. Then go up and under 'Edit' in the tool bar I left click 'Copy'.
I maximize my 'Modify Message' parked at the bottom of the 'Start' tool bar, or whatever it's called.
I place the cursor and left click within the verbage of the post where I want to place a picture from my Photobucket.
I go up to the tool bar of the Modified Post Message.
I left click 'Image insert' above the post. That's the icon that looks like a framed pic of a yellow beach w/ trees in the back ground.
I see this [Img]winking cursor[Img] where I'm placing the picture. The cursor stays put and then...
I right click and then right click paste.
I see the 'Direct Link' code between these [img] [Img] things for all three pictures I'm posting out of Photobucket.
Each picture from Photobucket is posted one at a time.
I remember to un-click the check marked box under each posted picture. Otherwise the same picture will be posted again.
I click 'Save' and I should see three pictures plus this verbage in the post.
I kept modifying this post till I got it right. I took careful notes in order to provide this guide.
Took about an hour.

multimedia_smith

It's an '88... when I launch, people ask if it's new... That's one good thing about Trailer/Garage... That's where it weathered Katrina and Gustav... behind concrete reinforced walls...
I have a bunch of project pics... I just loaded everything onto PhotoBucket... all I need to do now is learn it.
Can't really take the time now as I'm learning all kinds of new video graphics programs for a museum film on deadline...
Gotta get back to work... but there is a cold front coming through this weekend... I'll be out there!
Cheers to y'all
Dale