a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Instrument Placement

Started by freekick100, June 01, 2008, 04:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freekick100

Are there any good locations for instruments?  I've been looking at the step area just forward of the center board line.  A bit worried about them being blocked from sight by toes and ankles when you need them and by having them stepped on as folks enter/exit the cabin.

jmh123

We find that is a very 'busy' area and may not be the best location for instuments. We have a compass designed to serve as sighting or mounted compass. It is mounted to the ceiling just inside the sliding hatch. This works fine when the hatch is open, but can be hard to see at night, even with the built in led light. We take it out of the mount when in port to avoid 'head bumps'!

We put our handheld VHF in a large Davis "Sticky Pockets" that also holds our lines as needed (starboard bulkhead).

This year we have purchased a windshield auto mount for our GPS - we'll "suction" it to the port bulkhead and see how that works for us.

John

gradycampbell

I made a new lower hatchboard out of Taco poly board, and mounted my compass and gps/chartplotter in that. It is a little harder to step into the cabin with it in place, and it has to be removed to use the head, but overall it works fine. Everything disconnects quickly so I can keep my expensive gps/chartplotter at home where it is unlikely to be stolen.

freekick100

That sounds like a pretty good idea.  You usually don't need most of the instruments when you have a crowd (4 on an Eclipse) on board just when 1 or 2 are there.  I was starting to think about some type of rig that would swing in and out of the hatchway.  Same premise - just move it when entering the cabin.

Thanks for the help!!

Bob P

Steve

I have my GPS/Chartplotter on a swing out arm that I purchases from West Marine. I've been using it for seven years on CP23 and it works great. just be sure to mount it high enough to see it over the legs of the crew. I also have a standard horizon VHF in the cabin and a remote mic mounted near the tiller. When I purchased the boat there was a depth gauge mounted next to the bilge pump access. I don't suggest this spot because everyones legs and feet block it.

Steve

elibobeli

Can we kick this discussion around a bit more.  I have the same struggles and would like to hear where others have instruments mounted.

John,  what compass do you have and is it easy to read from the far aft cockpit location?  I want to purchase one as you described to pull dual duty.

I have a handheld GPS and VHF and like to have them closer to the rear of the cockpit due to heavy traffic near the cabin (two young kids plus guest moving about).  Plus, I don't think I could read the speed and bearing on my GPS from that distance (good eyes, just small display). I stay back by the motor under the boom arch and "drive".

Any other options.

Craig Weis

I would encourage careful thought and a hard look~see as where the instruments need to be, and just how much space is taken up by the device.

Look at some of my Frappr pictures in the 'slide show' from this site's homepage and consider those locations. Additional Frappr pictures are also below, at bottom of posts.

Always look to protect the instrument but also consider teak ring off-sets to protect the inside of the boat. You don't want to drill both the inside and outside of the cabin's wall if a stand-off would require only drilling the outside of the boat. Lots of ideas in old posts and these can be viewed simply by clicking on the author's name in the upper left of each post.

This format works so well as compared to other discussion boards. Thank you...who ever pick it out. skip.

jmh123

elibobeli,

We have a ComNav 70UNE from ComNave Marine. Our dealer recommended this so I have no additional info on other possible brands/models.

It is adequately visible from the cockpit -and we normally sit closer to the cabin than the stern for better fore/aft balance. It works fine with hatch all the way forward. but if it's closed (e.g. rain) or at night, the internal LED is not bright enough for me to be able to read it.

Can't speak to the issue of small kids -but I can see my handheld Magellan well enough with the suction cup mount on the bulkhead. I like it up front both for ease of use and just in case  - -if something comes loose, I may have a chance to grab it! Our 12 v outlet is in the cabin, so that's also an advantage for bulkhead placement. And after dark is not a problem -since we are plugged into the 12 v, we can 'afford' to have the back light on.

John

elibobeli

I could probably serve myself better on this issue by sailing a bit forward in the cockpit.  Ease of locating instruments and balance.   I'll give it some thought.  Thanks everyone.

elibobeli

For what it is worth on an old topic; I constructed a lower hatch board out of 1" hardwood about 6" tall.  It had to be out of 1" stock so that my plastimo Iris 100 compass handle would clear the lower hatch opening lip.  I intend to mount two drink holders on each side or the compass mount.  The board is just high enough to keep the top of the compass from getting hit, yet low enough for my three year old to step in and out.  As for other instruments, I have a handheld GPS with a neoprene case and belt clip which I fabbed a neoprene/velcro strap to place it just behind my hand at the tiller.  My handheld radio is mounted by belt clip on the stainless loop on the forward arch riser (where the lifeline would attach, there is one on each side of the boat).  A small carabiner (sp.?) on the loop holds the lanyard incase the radio comes off the clip and keeps the clip from sliding off the front of the loop (I have no lifelines on the boat).  Heck, I was 15 miles down the road when I realized my handheld was still riding on the boat, safely.