a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Handling the motor

Started by brackish, August 21, 2009, 05:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

My preference would be to trailer with the motor off the boat and in the bed of my truck, snugged up as far forward as possible.  I have a 9.9 electric start four stroke and that thing is heavy, listed at 104 lbs..  The only time I've dismounted it was when I bought the boat and brought it home, and to do that I backed my truck up to the motor mount and the seller and I stood in the bed and lifted it off.  Not the kind of thing you want to do at a ramp.

So how do those of you who have experience with this get that thing off and on?

Thanks,

Frank

sun17cat

I might try to rig a "motor crane" just inside the bed of the truck and then just pull the truck up next to the boat and lift it off. They swivel so you should be able to just swing it around and lower it into the bed. They are made to mount on the stern rail to lift the motor from the dinghy to the rail mount but I'll bet you could make it work.

Jim

kchunk

Hey there Frank.

I think this was brought up before (don't remember if it was here or the yahoo group). Anyway, my 23 has a Tohatsu 9.9 with electric start and cockpit remote control. I decided long ago I ain't undoing all that monkey motion every time I trailer (which isn't too often). I think its like two cable, three wires and a fuel line running through the transom. That said, I have over 2k miles driving around with the motor hanging off the transom. No biggie...yet.

I did think about rigging a line from the stern rail or something to help bear some of the load, but never got around to it.

--Greg

NateD

Although no where near the stress of a 100+ lb motor, I have left a 4hp 2 stroke engine hanging on the transom of my 16 for 1,000+ miles of trailering this year with no signs of stress around the motor mount.

brackish

In addition to a desire to have a little more tongue weight and a little less of a moment arm aft, I want to be able to use this motor for another boat.  Over the winter plan to build a Bateau FS 14 skiff to fish and scallop with, can't see buying a second motor as little use as I hope this one will get.  An easy way to get it on and off is key.

St. Croix marine products sells a 175 lb. capacity jib crane that can be installed and removed in 20 seconds according to the literature, with minimum hardware to permanently install.  A little pricey but I might take their sketch and see if I can fabricate one.

http://www.davit.com/175popup-littleCrane.html

My first real job was as a welder.  They say you never forget.........

ka8uet

If you are trailering with the motor attached to the boat, you probably should get one of those stick-type supports which transfer the weight of the motor, or at least part of it, from the transom and motormount to the trailer.  I would think this would be especially true of the heavier motors.  I never left my 6hp 2 stroke Evinrude on the boat when  trailering.  It rode inside the truck.  Of course, you have to add the weight of the motor to the total load, but I couldn't lift it onto the boat.  My method of choice was the handy son technique, until they all got married and moved away!  LOL

BobK

I use an 8' 2X4 that is placed over rail, over the motor mount.  To it I mount my boom downhaul that is attached to a harness I made that is attached to the 8hp Honda.  I can easly raise and place the motor alone using this rig.  My tool box - 25# and anchor 15# are used on the end in the cockpit as counterweight.

nies

WHEN THE SONS LEAVE THE WORK BEGINS. I REQUIRED THREE COATS OF WAX ON HULL, SINCE IVE BEEN DOING IT , ONE WORKS REALLY WELL. RECENTLY THEY REVEALED THEY ACTUALLY ONLY DID TWO COATS. WHAT PARENTS DONT KNOW CANT HURT THEM. I WOULDNT CARRY A MOTOR ON THE STERN UNLESS THERE WASNT ANY OTHER OPTION, CANT BE GOOD FOR THE BOAT OR MOTOR........NIES