a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Why is it called a Magic "Tilt?"

Started by yknot, September 17, 2009, 05:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yknot

Just curious.  I have wondered this since I bought my 1983 CP 16 a few years ago (Y Knot, Sarasota Bay).  I know my trailer is old, and possibly modified, but I can't seem to figure out the anwer to the question: Why is it called a Magic "Tilt" trailer? 

I don't see anything that tilts.  I searched images on Google, but they all show just the trailer.  Looks like any other trailer to me.

Rob

Brian 1851

Hi Rob

I also have a 1983 cp16 with a tilt trailer.  On my trailer I have a rod that slides into a hole that holds the two sections of the trailer together.  When the rod is taken out the trailer will tilt causing the front end to go up and the back end to go down.  I have not used it personally because I have never needed to and it is just an extra step.  This is what I have read, that this tilt feature allows you to launch in shallower water.  The rod with a cotter pin at one end, so it does not fall out, is located at the end of the single steel tube on the trailer before it separates into two or a little less than eight feet from your hitch. I hope this helps.

p.s. By the way, great picture!  I love seeing pictures of cp 16.

edbuchanan

Hi Rob,

That's a perfect picture.  A beautiful day, a beach, a sailboat and a happy dog.  Thank you.

Ernie (Molly 23/II, 1984)

Craig Weis

As Brian says, she'll tilt if the pin is pulled, not the best idea and probably more for marketing then actually floating the boat off the trailer.

My Performance Trailer has and extention of about 4 foot, placing the boat that much further behind the tow and that much closer to the water. Around here I don't even extend the tongue because the boat floats off even before the back bumper of my Ford Expedition sees water.
skip

yknot

I've never noticed a pin anywhere, I'll have to take a better look if only for curiosity sake.  I agree with Brian in that the "tilting" is an extra step, and I generally do not have an issue with launching and retrieving this great boat. 

My trailer has a "runner" (not sure what the actual term would be?), a U-shaped slot that the shoal keel rests in, made of a slippery vinyl-type material (the side rails are made of this as well).  The boat really slides on and off the trailer nicely without effort.

I guess for now, the only "magic tilt" on my journeys will be the pivoting of a slightly-chilled bottle of ale into my parched throat ;-)

nies

FOR OTHER COMMENTS ON TILT TRAILERS GO TO BOAT AND MOD.,PAGE 1 U-BOLTS..........NIES

mrb

Look along the tongue, should have a pin or bolt running through tongue before frame flares out.

Nice picture of boat and mate.  Where taken.

Wet in Arkansas, Melvin

yknot

The photo was taken a few months ago in Sarasota, FL.  There's a sandbar just north of the sailing squadron, great place to beach.