a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heavy duty sewing machines

Started by mayrel, February 06, 2015, 06:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

I'm researching sewing machines capable of sewing canvas and/or ripstop lighter material.  Sailrite may have the best, but they're very expensive.  I find no used Sailrite machines, a strong indication they're excellent quality.  My question is, are there any other machines(singer for example)capable of sewing canvas/ripstop which are less expensive.  I don't plan to go into business sewing, primarily just make a cockpit cover for our CP16 and possibly some other covers or carrying bags for items.  After that, it may not get used for a very long time, if ever.  Early thanks for any help...John

HeaveToo

A lot of the older machines with metal gears can do the job.  There use to be a place to buy refurbished machines on line that was created by a fellow sailor.  Keep an eye on ebay for a refurbished older machine for sewing canvas. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-NECCHI-SEWING-MACHINE-RESTORED-SERVICED-LEATHER-DENIM-CANVAS-/261763678628?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf254c1a4

There is an example of something that may work. 

A walking foot is nice but it isn't necessary for normal canvas work.  Sewing straight stitch and zig zag are nice.  If you are sewing sail material a walking foot is important and you should use a zigzag stitch. 

Here is a general search through ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsewing+machine+canvas&_nkw=sewing+machine+canvas&_sacat=0

If you aren't sewing through too many layers most machines can do it, if they can sew denim.  The right needle and threat combo is important.

Best advise for you is to get a cheaper machine and see how it works and how you like doing canvas work.  Some of it is very easy and straight forward.  Other stuff is more complex.  Build up from easy projects to complex projects and you will learn better and get frustrated less.  Don Casey had an okay book called Canvas Work and Sail Repair.  It is worth a read.

Oh, I do some canvas work on my boats.  I have done covers for dodger windows, winch covers, teak covers, and things like that.  It isn't too hard but it can be time consuming.  You will save a fortune doing it yourself and as you get more experience you will get better.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

DougN

Picked up a used Sailright LZ1 today for $395.Woman is semi-retiring and downsizing her upholstering shop.I know absolutely nothing about sewing but luckily my wife sewed seats for Ford at the Utica Trim Plant for 20 years at the beginning of her career.My plan is after I totally make a mess of things she'll take pity on me and do it right.We'll see how that turns out.             

OrionNC

Phaff 130 is a good machine to consider.

capt_nemo

I've made several sails and canvas boat products with an older Husqvarna Viking 350 Home Sewing Machine given to me by my wife who has two (2) newer expensive Sewing/Embroidery Machines.

The machine works quite well, sewing Sunbrella, canvas, polytarp, and nylon with either straight or zig zag stitches. It will even sew through multiple layers used to reinforce the high stress grommeted corners of sails using both regular and "walking" foot. Use good needles, the proper foot, and UV protected thread.

You might be surprised at the capability of a well-made and respected brand of Home Sewing Machine.

capt_nemo