a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cabin Door - Build or Buy

Started by robb_black, March 23, 2009, 01:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romei

Well, I got this cabin door project nearly completed.   I'm still thinking of what else I want to mount on there, but for those interested, here's a direct link to my blog post and pictures.

http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina/?p=495

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

mrb

romei

Nice idea and door work.  Strange that your door had that frame on it when you got it, never seen anything like it, however you put it to good use.

There has been some discussion on other post about wood finishes.  Your picture showing outside of door is the natural teak look that I opt for.

When are we going to hear about your first gaff sail test.  Soon I hope.

melvin

romei

Quote from: mrb on April 05, 2009, 08:19:54 PM
romei

Nice idea and door work.  Strange that your door had that frame on it when you got it, never seen anything like it, however you put it to good use.

There has been some discussion on other post about wood finishes.  Your picture showing outside of door is the natural teak look that I opt for.

When are we going to hear about your first gaff sail test.  Soon I hope.

melvin

Well Melvin, that last sentence just put a huge smile on my face for sure.  Trust me when I tell you that no one in the galaxy is looking forward to that day more than me.  Unfortunately, they don't raise the water level until about the third week in May at the lake where I sail.  Starting this coming weekend I'll be moving my camper, golf cart, and my boats and dock and so forth up to camp.  That gives me about six week-ends to set up camp,  mount my new transom ladder, mount and adjust my dog's swim ladder, put in my dock etc....  There's a lot of work that goes into seasonal camping in PA.

I'm hoping the first sail will be May 16th or May 23rd.  I'll be documenting that sail on the Monday after it happens, complete with pictures. 

Until then, I may be documenting some other interior and electrical work.  I intend to install a solar panel and some wiring, and perhaps a piece or two of custom made furniture inside between now and then.

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

robb_black

Quote from: romei on April 05, 2009, 05:17:52 PM
Well, I got this cabin door project nearly completed.   I'm still thinking of what else I want to mount on there, but for those interested, here's a direct link to my blog post and pictures.

http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina/?p=495

I like how this turned out.  Gives me some ideas!  Thanks for sharing the project.

robb_black

So I bought the door from Hutchins and just like Doug said it came unfinished and not cut to size.  I'm wondering how to finish this door now.  Do I just need some sort of sealer?  Can I stain and oil it and be down with it?  I'm not experienced with woodworking and need this door to last awhile so I want to do it right.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions....

Steve Ullrich

I'm really surprised that you have to cut it to size yourself but not so surprised that it is unfinished.  There are a variety of finishes out there that would have different colors and I suppose Hutchins wants to give you the option of matching the finish to your own boat.  I have had very good luck with Cetol Marine Natural Teak finish on all three of my sailboats.  You can get it at West Marine and a lot of other places. I put four coats on my teak, lightly sanding with 300 grit paper between coats to help the next layer get smoother and to stick better.

Quote from: Robb on August 07, 2009, 09:29:20 AM
So I bought the door from Hutchins and just like Doug said it came unfinished and not cut to size.  I'm wondering how to finish this door now.  Do I just need some sort of sealer?  Can I stain and oil it and be down with it?  I'm not experienced with woodworking and need this door to last awhile so I want to do it right.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions....
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

robb_black

Steve,

Sorry I wasn't more specific.  The door is only teak veneer with exposed plywood edges.  I talked with a sailing friend of mine and he suggested I needed to varnish the door in order to protect the exposed edges.  I just was hoping to find some way around it only because I feel like I have spent more time varnishing wood this season than I have sailing (in fact I know I have spent more time varnishing wood than sailing).  I revarnished my tiller and motor mount and did not relish the idea of having to do more sanding and varnishing.

Cest le vie

Quote from: Steve Ullrich on August 07, 2009, 10:26:08 AM
I'm really surprised that you have to cut it to size yourself but not so surprised that it is unfinished.  There are a variety of finishes out there that would have different colors and I suppose Hutchins wants to give you the option of matching the finish to your own boat.  I have had very good luck with Cetol Marine Natural Teak finish on all three of my sailboats.  You can get it at West Marine and a lot of other places. I put four coats on my teak, lightly sanding with 300 grit paper between coats to help the next layer get smoother and to stick better.

Steve Ullrich

Hi Rob - I think I'd still go with the Cetol Marine if it is going to be out in the sun very much.  As for too much time spent with a bruch in hand, I hear you.  I refinished all my bright work this summer too.  I know I have more time in that than I have had in the cockpit on the water.  We've had a weird summer.  Rain or no wind on most of the days I had off.  Gave me time to tinker with the boat but I'd rather do that in the off season.

Quote from: Robb on August 09, 2009, 04:27:40 PM
Steve,

Sorry I wasn't more specific.  The door is only teak veneer with exposed plywood edges.  I talked with a sailing friend of mine and he suggested I needed to varnish the door in order to protect the exposed edges.  I just was hoping to find some way around it only because I feel like I have spent more time varnishing wood this season than I have sailing (in fact I know I have spent more time varnishing wood than sailing).  I revarnished my tiller and motor mount and did not relish the idea of having to do more sanding and varnishing.

Cest le vie

Quote from: Steve Ullrich on August 07, 2009, 10:26:08 AM

robb_black

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look into the Cetol.  My main concern is protecting the exposed plywood edges.  As much as I like the varnish on the tiller and motor mount, I really do not like the look of varnished teak (even if it is veneer).

We had a wet spring and early Summer in MD that kept me from doing most of my boat work (I don't have an indoor location to work on boat).  I'm looking forward to some good fall sailing to make up for all this lost time during the summer!

Quote from: Steve Ullrich on August 09, 2009, 04:53:17 PM
Hi Rob - I think I'd still go with the Cetol Marine if it is going to be out in the sun very much.  As for too much time spent with a bruch in hand, I hear you.  I refinished all my bright work this summer too.  I know I have more time in that than I have had in the cockpit on the water.  We've had a weird summer.  Rain or no wind on most of the days I had off.  Gave me time to tinker with the boat but I'd rather do that in the off season.

eraskopf

I made mine. Make sure you bevel the top edge to keep water out of the cabin. I bought a piece of fancier ply at the lumber yard for about $10 and used several coats of teak oil.

don l

All thumbs!  we would be a buyer at $55 for the door.

Steve Ullrich

Keeping those thumbs is a good plan too. I know a woodworker that is missing one...

Quote from: captain cajun on August 18, 2009, 06:59:19 PM
All thumbs!  we would be a buyer at $55 for the door.