Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What color is your bottom paint?

Started by kchunk, June 11, 2009, 08:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donzen

Nick,
You did a great job on your bottom.  And your boat looks great too!
I see you have a Bimini on the 23.  Do you have any pics of it open?  Also, do you have any comments re the installation of one for someone considering a Bimini and dodger combo.
Thanks,
Donzen

nick23

Sorry, I keep forgetting to take pics of the dodger/bimini when I am at the boat!  Both items came with the boat when I bought it, and were one of the big selling points.  With the dodger up, you can stand up in the companionway for cooking, changing, or stretching, and still be protected from the elements also with some privacy.

When the dodger and bimini are both up, there is about a 6 inch gap between them.  There is an additional piece of canvas that zips between them and covers up the gap.  Sometimes I find the bimini frustrating because you can't stand up in the cockpit and while sailing you can't see the mainsail very well and can't access sail controls at the aft end of the boom very well.  But, it's worth it for the shade in the middle of the day in south Texas. 

What would be really nice is some kind of setup where you had a dodger and then an additional covering that extended from the cabin about 1/3rd or halfway back into the cockpit.  That way you could be protected from the sun in the front part of the cockpit but have standing headroom, visibility, and boom access in the aft part of the cockpit.  I saw a setup like this on an Albin Vega and liked it.

Chuck

My 23 was done in westmarine bottom shield by Hutchins and I think it looks good.