News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What are the differences between the CP16 I/II/III?

Started by NateD, July 29, 2009, 09:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

Looking at pictures of everyone's boats it can be hard to tell what is factory and what has been added over the years.

First off, what are the cut off years between the different models? What was added, subtracted, and modified between the models?

I have a 1981 (which I assume is a I), and I had a chance to look over Steve Ullrich's 1989 (which is a II) and here are the big things I noticed:

I:
Has a lazarette aft of the cockpit.
Scuppers drain down then out.
At least on my boat I have factory installed shelving in the cabin.

II:
Aft lazarette removed.
Scuppers drain straight through the stern.
Bow sprit added.
Spreaders on the side stays.
Wood paneling on the interior.

III:
?????

What did I miss? What changed on the III? What about the Raven rig? When did they start offering the center board model? So many questions....I'll keep updating this post with the changes others note so that there is one easy spot to refer back to.

romei

I also have an '81 but I don't have, nor have I ever seen shelving in one.  Can you post a pic?
Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

romei

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

NateD

I don't think the shelves were standard, but they look like they were an option in 1981. When I first saw them I thought they were great. In Robert Burgress's Handbook of Trailer Sailing he talks about adding shelves to a Com-Pac, but advocates using fiberglass to secure them to the inside of the hull. After looking close at how my shelves were install, I was unimpressed. They drilled holes in the deck and put small bolts through to hold the shelves up. I figured it was done by a previous owner, until I noticed the ornamental brass on the starboard side was stamped with "Hutchins" and the hull ID number, which leads me to believe it was installed by the factory. They are very nice to have, but I wish they hadn't drilled all the holes in the deck.

Port:

Starboard stamp:

Through-deck bolt:

Steve Ullrich

Hi Nate,

Actually, mine is a 1988 16/III. I also have a hatch on the foredeck on my model.  

There are also factory installed nylon storage "saddlebags" in the cabin.  Here is a shot of the starboard "saddlebag".  They unclip from the hull, fold in half, and have handles on them for easy carrying to and from the boat.

There were also two more revisions, the 16 XL and the CB. The CB was a 16/III with the addition of an unbalasted swing keel to help it point higher.  I don't know what was different about the XL. Then Hutchins quit making them for a while before coming back with the Legacy.

Here is a site where you can look over pictrues of Com-Pac 16's: http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboats99compac16.html
From what I can gleen from the pictures Hutchins made the 16/II from 1985 - 1987, maybe part way into '88.  The 16/III from 1988 to at least 1990. By 1998 they were making the XL.

Steve
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Les

The following info may not be totally accurate, but it is extremely close.

16/1  made from 1976 to 1983
- hull 1 to 2210
- 3/4 rig
- no bowsprit
- no spreaders

16/2 made from 1984 to 1987
- hull 2202 to 2561?
- 7/8 rig with spreaders
- bowsprit
- larger jib
- hull 2235 on added teak interior & frp head liner
- hull 2330 on changed to tan hull

16/3 made from 1988 to 1991
- hull 2562 to ?
- white hull
- forehatch
- halyards led aft to cleats
- teak cabin liner (looks very good)

16/3/XL made from 1992 to 2002
- frp cabin surround
- bowsprit
- forehatch
- anchor roller
- stern rail option
- traveler option ?
- has slightly less vertical leg room in berth

16/CB = 1996 to 2002
- everything on 16/3/XL
- centerboard option for higher pointing

Les

Steve Ullrich

Great summary Les. Thanks!  Was the traveler on the stern on the XL?  I gave some thought to setting that up myself.  The problem I have with the 16/3 is that as you ease the main sheet you lose your sail shape.  I'd like to be able to ease a traveler and keep the main flat.  She'd be faster, no doubt.   I suppose I could go with a boom vang and get the same results but there isn't a lot of room to work with between the coach roof and the boom...  A traveler across the front of the cockpit would would do it too but I'm not sure the boom can handle mid boom sheeting.  Probably should just leave well enough alone...

doug

Steve, the 16 cb has a mid boom traveler. Not certain if its any faster but you most certainly can hold a better sail shape and keep the craft much flatter in high winds (i relearned this again this past weekend).

Steve Ullrich

Interesting... Where is the traveler itself mounted?  I was just out in the garage eyeballing it's likely position if the main tackle would be square to the boom and I'm not sure I'd like climbing over it.

Quote from: doug on July 30, 2009, 09:42:23 PM
Steve, the 16 cb has a mid boom traveler. Not certain if its any faster but you most certainly can hold a better sail shape and keep the craft much flatter in high winds (i relearned this again this past weekend).

doug

The traveler is at the front of cockpit (in the way when your trying to change the music or get something to drink) which makes it just about mid boom. Frankly it has taken me a couple of years to learn when to use the traveler and when to just leave it alone, but it is nice to have in either light or brisk breezes.

Steve Ullrich

Doug - It took me a couple times around the lake to figure out the traveler on the Hunter 23 too.  My first boat, a 1973 O'Day 20,  had the main sheet at the end of the boom, like our 16's do, but it also had a boom vang.  On the O'Day you flattened the sail with the vang and adjusted angle of attack with the main sheet.  It is the other way around when you have a traveler.  The traveler is used to adjust angle of attack (swing the boom in and out) and the main sheet is used to flatten/ease the sail shape.  On the Hunter the traveler was only in the way when close hauled because the companionway was bigger.  On our 16's, with no boom vang, the main sheet does both things at the same time but not as well as either of the other configurations.  She would be faster on a most reaches if you could seperate sail shape from angle of attack.

Quote from: doug on August 01, 2009, 12:21:28 AM
The traveler is at the front of cockpit (in the way when your trying to change the music or get something to drink) which makes it just about mid boom. Frankly it has taken me a couple of years to learn when to use the traveler and when to just leave it alone, but it is nice to have in either light or brisk breezes.

Craig Weis

Les you ARE the man!!
Great synopsis on the 16...can you do it for the 19???
thanx skip.

The 'XL' on a CP-16 might just be no wood around the ports or any vertical bulkhead inside the cabin, but rather a white-ribbed-fiberglass one piece insert, covering up the hull/deck joint and spanning the cabin port to starboard and fore and aft like on my CP-19 hull# 588...

Steve. That anchor chain if it was a vinyl coated chain would hold it's curved shape on deck. Might run across a coated chain in a flee market. Never know. No rubbing on the deck.

Les

Skip, I may have to let you down a bit on the 19, here is all I know:

19/1 made 1982 to 1985
- hull 1 to 265

19/2  made 1985 to 1988
- hull 266 to 422
- added a bowsprit
- slight change to "J" of head sail (no idea whether larger or smaller)

19/3 made 1988 to 1992
- hull 443 to 550
- minor changes to interior
- IJPE = 21'-9", 7'-2", 18'-9" & 8'-0" (do NOT order sails from these numbers, they are not proven)

19XL made 1992 to 2002
- hull 551 to 624
- added white frp headliner in cabin
- there were also 3 or 4 19's made with a $695 centerboard option (3'-4" draft board down)

A centerboard 19XL would be a rare prize, there is one in California and two in Europe of all places.

Les

NateD

Steve: In another thread I mentioned a foam block under the the cockpit sole, between the births, and I think you said you did not have that. On my boat there is a Styrofoam block about 1'x1'x5' under the cockpit sole. Was this only on the I?