News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

access to bottom of keel on trailers with a keel board?

Started by jb, September 17, 2013, 08:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

My CP-16 has a legacy trailer which has a keel board. When I bought the boat,  the keel was off center and over hanging the keel board by about 3+ inches.  The overhang enabled me to use a small hydraulic jack to lift the boat enough, to bottom paint the keel.

Now, after using the boat this season and making adjustments to the trailer, the keel is perfectly centered on the keel board.... like I assume it should be? But in doing so I have eliminated my previous access for painting the keel bottom.

My question, how do other CP-16 or Legacy owners access the keel bottom when it is sitting on the trailer?

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

j

skip1930

" My question, how do other CP-16 or Legacy owners access the keel bottom when it is sitting on the trailer? "

Grab a roll-a-round couple ton floor jack and one by one jack up the hull bunks, locking the bolts down one at a time. Keep going around the boat a few inches at a time until the boat hull has lifted the keel off what ever the keel is sitting on. Worked fine with my CP-19.

skip.

jb

Skip,

don't think your suggestion will work for me? The metal supports ( square stock) that hold the bunks in place are not long enough to allow me to both raise the bunks and still lock them in a secure manner. Thanks

j

ahmch

Since my boat is the same I have been thinking about this as well.  My keel is a little dinged and could use some epoxy.
What about this, loosen plank from, trailer and tilt it up just as you would if it were on rollers. Put spacers on bunks that are now exposed then lower plank. Just thinking out loud here. 

jb

ahmch,

That might work !!

...."tilt it up just as you would if it were on rollers"...

Are you suggesting lifting the entire keel board and boat in one movement or lifting/tilting the front and rear of the board separately, thus exposing only part of the keel bottom  ?

keep thinking out loud

thanks,

j