a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spring for the Motor Mount

Started by robb_black, July 06, 2009, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robb_black

I took off my motor mount to revarnish it since it was in bad condition.  I thought I kept all the parts together, but when it came time to put it back together Friday so we could go sailing, I discovered I lost the spring that keeps the latch in place.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to where I might be able to find a new spring?  Should I just call Hutchins?

Gil Weiss

Depending on what company made your mount, you can probably look it up on line and get a manual and/or parts drawing that shows where it goes. The West Marine website may have infor too as they sell these mounts.

Gil

Steve Ullrich

I think Garelick made them...  You might send them a note?

http://www.garelick.com/index.html

Else, a quick note to Hutchins: info@com-pacyachts.com

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Salty19

There is a slight chance I have one leftover from my motor mount swap.  It's definitely a Garelick part.
Let me check tonight and I'll get back to you.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

robb_black

Fantastic...I would be happy to pay for shipping and for the part.

Salty19

Robb,  I looked in the garage for the spring but was not able to find it.  I may have tossed it as I still had the wood mount and some of the aluminum (to reuse on on another future unknown project) but none of the hardware.  Sorry that didn't work out for you.

Garelick can probably get you one.  You can call them to ask : 651.459.9795

Their model 71040 is a direct replacement, so you'll want the spring from this part number. The only changes I can discern is the mount is now plastic and the locking bar is slightly different shaped. Other than that, they look *identical* to the original factor mount (from my 82 CP16)!

I replaced the whole mount as it was pretty much worn out (sloppy action, main spring weak, wood delaminating, etc)  That was not a fun project, one of the bolts was stubborn and had to be ground with an air cut off wheel and chiseled with air hammer!

Good luck and sorry I couldn't find it for you.

robb_black

Thanks for checking.  I just revarnished the wooden mount in order to breathe a few more years of life into it.  But even after that the wood is still cracking when I tighten down the motor clamps.

I'll give them a call!

Thanks again!

Salty19

The wood cracking is probably normal (if I understand you correctly, the round area on your outboard clamp is denting the wood?).  It's plywood afterall.

I built a cedar outboard stand on the front of the trailer.  Same thing, the clamps dented in the wood upon first use. I believe cedar is classified as hardwood too.

You could always put a thin wood or metal shim in between to protect it it that's important to you. 

P.S.  Looked again and no spring.

robb_black

I called the manufacturer.  The only way I could get a new spring for the mount was if I sent in the entire mount to be refurbished.  They do not sell the individual spring, nor could they give me the specs of the spring.  Oh well...I'll just go down to the local hardware store and buy a bunch of springs and test them out till one works.

The wooden part that is cracking is the top layer.  I'm not terribly worried about it.  I'll probably buy a new mount for next season.

Steve Ullrich

Did they give you a quote for refurbishing your mount?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Salty19

Well, that's not my idea of customer service.  New mounts are about $110.  Mine was a pain to put on. One backing nut was siezed.  Had to angle grind and air hammer off one bolt to get the darn thing off!   Then taking it all apart to lube the pivot points is another exercise in fun.   I suggest putting liberal doses of rust penetration oil on the inside bolts/nuts several days prior to application (and each day until application).  It may be easier?  Even with air tools it was tough (the bolts are extremely hard!!).

I'm thinking 1/2 wide by 1 1/4" long spring should do the trick.

robb_black

Quote from: Steve Ullrich on July 09, 2009, 02:22:20 PM
Did they give you a quote for refurbishing your mount?

They did not and I did not ask.  The mount works fine except for the spring so it didn't even cross my mind.

robb_black

Quote from: Salty16 link=topic=2631.msg15341#msg15341 date=124716758
I'm thinking 1/2 wide by 1 1/4" long spring should do the trick.
/quote]

Thanks for your help.  A buddy of mine runs a hardware store with odds-and-ends parts and I was able to find a spring there that works great!  I installed it today and the mount works perfect now.

Salty19

Robb,

I found the spring!  I sent you an email asking for your address to send it to.

robb_black

Thanks!  I actually was able to find a similar spring at a hardware store owned by a friend of mine.  I had to cut the length to fit, but it is working now.  Thanks for looking but hold on to the spring in case you or someone else on the board might need one!

:)

Robb

Quote from: Salty16 on July 30, 2009, 12:11:26 PM
Robb,

I found the spring!  I sent you an email asking for your address to send it to.