a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast Rollers

Started by iggypops1, September 25, 2009, 08:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iggypops1

The plastic rollers (at the top of mast) need replacement.  Should I go through Hutchinson or would my local
West Marine store carry them????

Potcake boy

If they are plastic, I suspect that they are not original, and probably came from West Marine.  My 19 has aluminum sheaves and I am pretty sure that's what came in all the Compac masts.  Certainly Hutchins would be happy to provide OE replacements.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Steve Ullrich

The mast head sheaves in my 1988 Com-Pac 16/3 appear to be nylon as well.  I know they are original equipment.  They might not be nylon, they might be delron or some other durable plastic, but they definitely aren't aluminum.  You can probably get replacements either way but I'll probably go with Hutchins when that time comes.  They have been very responsive and helpfull when I had questions or needed parts. There is a phone number as well as an email address posted on their web site.

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/

Quote from: iggypops1 on September 25, 2009, 08:33:34 AM
The plastic rollers (at the top of mast) need replacement.  Should I go through Hutchinson or would my local
West Marine store carry them????

Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Craig Weis

The last time I had the mast off my Com Pac 19 was maybe four or five seasons ago.
While laid out in the back yard I pulled the entire cast aluminum MAST HEAD Assembly clean out of the mast's tube.
If you look at this stuff it all comes from commercial outlets. Nothing actually priority to Com Pac Yachts.

Once on the bench the aluminum sheave pins and keeps were removed and the sheaves fell into my hand for a good look~see.
Nothing amiss so upon reassembly the pins and sheaves were installed with a goodly slug of Neverseaze, a Permatex product that is kind of a water resistant grease and an aluminum filler. Messy but permanent. Also added was a small Harken block off the forward facing loop that is part of the MAST HEAD for the asymmetrical spinnaker.

It was at this time all information about the rig was measured, noted, written down and all halyards and sheets were replaced with 'like-line' but cut to a longer length. The ascertained information is provided in my Com Pac registration of Comfort & Joy from many years ago. Sheets are now long enough to be pulled across the cockpit to the high side so that winch can be used if desired. Kind of a nice touch when no other crew is on board.

skip.

iggypops1

I purchased the two roller from Hutch this week, $5.69 w/th shipping.  I lowered the mast this morning prior to sailing and took a peek at the roller assembly.  It appears there is a stainless steel pin holding the roller in place however, the pin has a head on both sides.  It looks like using a center-punch will not work. I might have to drill out ones side of the pin.  Any ideas?   

nies

I WOULD BE VERY SURPRISED IF PINS ARE ARE S.S., THE IDEA OF CUTTING/GRINDING THE HEADS OFF THE BEST IDEA AND REPLACING WITH S.S. BOLT  PROBABLY  WOULD BE THE FASTEST AND EASEST WAY TO RECONNECT.............NIES

Craig Weis

Look at Iggypops picture and see the shafts that support the sheaves with the cotter pins. Pull those pins and the assembly of pins, sheaves, and washers will fall out into your outstretched hand. Oh might have to drift the pins out a bit. No big Deal!!
No need to drill a thing. The entire masthead can be removed by unscrewing the two fasteners below the masthead that go through the mast. By the way the entire mast head is in the catalog of the Dwyer Company.

Good idea to put a yellow/orange reflector atop the mast when towing the boat down the road. Never thought of that. Under that reflector is the ring to place a block for the spinnaker.

Dwyer Mast
2 Commerce Dr.,
N. Branford,
CT 06471, USA

Phone: (203) 484-0419
Fax: (203) 484-2014

E-Mail: sail@dwyermast.com

Mast Extrusions and Fittings

Boom Extrusions and Fittings

Round Tubing

Sailboat Hardware and Accessories

Standing Rigging and Rigging Kits