News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone know ths dimensions of the area under the companionway step?

Started by kchunk, July 14, 2009, 05:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kchunk

I'm looking to pick up a cooler today and want to make sure it fits, but the boat is 300 miles away. Sam's Club has an Igloo MaxCold 150qt 7-day cooler for under $70 but I want to make sure I can slide it in this area under the companionway step. If anyone has an opportunity to measure this area today I'd be very grateful.

--Greg

Bob23

Greg:
   I'll be rowing out to the boat today so if my brain remembers to remind me to measure it, you'll have it here this afternoon. Of course, you have the open bilge back there a bit so you don't want to drop anything down there. I built a removable plywood floorboard and backboard so increased my storage room and can remove the whole thing without tools for access to the bilge pumps. Yuck, though. I still hate sticking my hands down there!
Bob23...off for morning coffee on a nippy day for July here in NJ

kchunk

That would be great Bob...Thanks!

Tie a tape measure to you finger. It'll help you remember  ;)

Actually, this monster is big enough that it won't fall into the bilge and I can just open the valve and drain it into the bildge...change out the bilde water.

brackish

Mine happens to be in the driveway having some maintenance and modifications so here goes.  This is a 23/IV, assuming the dimension haven't changed by version:

Width - 21"
Depth - 19.25"
height - 14.25"

These are clear dimensions, i.e., they take into consideration the moldings that have to be gotten past to get the chest into the slightly larger cavity.

let us know how the chest works out.  I need a new one also.

brackish

By the way, the height dimension assumes that you can get over the molding that is on the sole and angle down to the floor of the cavity.  If you don't think that is possible, cut about another half inch.

kchunk

Bob, any luck making it to the boat and your brain remembering to remind you? I'm curious what you get for a height dimension. Brack measured his at 14.25". The cooler I picked up is a bit taller than that, but compared things I've stuffed under there in the past, I think the cooler might fit. It measures 16.5". Oh well, we'll see when we get there tomorrow.

--Greg

Bob23

Greg:
   My brain remembered and, believe it or not, I keep a tape on board at all times. (Carpenter after all.) I have a 22" width, 18" height and over 36" depth. Yeah, I figured the cooler wouldn't fall into the bilge- just sorta slides right over it. Sweet. Of course, I have that darned foot pump for the sink protruding into the opening about 3" bringing the floor level width down to 18". I removed the sink last year and probably should remove the pump, too. I plan on turning that big ol' sink mouning board into a chart table...one of these days.
   Mine is a 23/2. I have no moulding on the cabin sole. Just smooth slidin' from the cabin floor into the storage area floor. Actually, it's one floor, that beautiful teak and holly plywood that the Hutchins boys use.
   Sorry for the delay. I got roped into helping my brother launch his new (to him) 1973 O'day Mariner last night and we went out for a sunset sail to commeroate the event. What a great little boat!
Bob23

brackish

Well you folks are lucky with that height.  The 14.25" is the stopper for most chests and, in particular, the extended day types.  I've been through all the manufacturers web sites looking for a large chest that will fit in that height, coming up "short".  Even looked at Yeti's.  The one I'd want is 15.5" tall, won't fit, but they are nice (and expensive).

ComPac must have changed things with the IV, maybe to get more room for the instrument panel area. 

I do have a very nice removable box in there, teak veneer with teak and holly bottom, slides all the way in to cover the bilge access area with a removable stop bar to keep it from shifting.  However, you don't want to put anything in there that you would need without a struggle.  If I take it out, another 18" of depth for ice chest.

Thinking about two. One for cold storage, another for replacement ice kept frozen with dry ice.    I think that plan may give you the longest cruise length without having to worry about finding ice.  Anyone ever try this plan?