a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

trailer tongue wieght

Started by iggypops1, June 10, 2009, 09:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iggypops1

Thanks for all the replies and information provided.  After reading the above posts and contacting Chevy I don't feel comfortable towing the boat each weekend back and fourth from the house to the ramp, especially with my two young children and the wife (aka my keeper) in the vehicle.
I decided to pay the yearly $224.00 dollars and park my boat and trailer at the local sailing squadron.  When my tow vehicle is in use, the boat will be towed on private property, in a boat yard and not on the roadway.  My trailer/boat parking spot will be less then 100 ft from the boat ramp so towing should be a breeze.   I now feel comfortable using my tow vehicle in this matter. Plus, I can keep the mast up and the boat rigged at all times so launch time well be greatly reduced.  Hitch and unload in the water.

Thanks again for the input, this site is awesome.

Steve,     .

Steve Ullrich

Excellent decision.  If your local squadron is within a reasonable distance you are going to find that you will use your sailboat more often than you would have otherwise.  Launching and retrieving a rigged boat won't take a lot of time.  All you need are covers for the main and tiller, and maybe a jib bag, for protection from the sun.  If you have a buddy or two with towing capabilities maybe you can hit them up once in a while to haul her to other locations.  Enjoy your summer!
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Salty19

Iggy, that is one investment you will not regret.  Easier on your car, no liability and you'll use the boat more often as it will be simple to launch!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603