a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

A Trailer - A Sailor and A Fence

Started by HideAway, November 23, 2009, 05:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HideAway

As a requirement of membership every third Saturday is work day at our sailing club (www.sailbcyc.org) .  Its a good time to meet new folks and maintain the club and grounds.  I spent the morning planting trees and pulling weeds.  Around noon the Porch Committee is in session and the beer flows.  I mentioned to Mixer - my teamster friend who knows all there is to know about tractor trailer driving - my travails of backing up the trailer.   In typical fashion Mixer said "Lets do it now"   And I whom have had a couple or so of adult beverages protested to which he claimed - "You can't seem to do it sober so whats the harm?" (no public streets or traffic here)- No sermons please!

Imagine our surprise as we walked to the boat and found the city had built a fence blocking my access!   Our club must pay for all unoccupied slips and had decided to give 9 back to the city as long as the city built a fence to keep the non paying boaters out of our facility - just didn't tell the city to notify us about when.  Mixer put a chunk of cardboard in my back window to force me to use my mirrors.  He walked along side giving pointers.  I was able to get out of my slip, never to return, but the launching problem increased tenfold.   Some of his pointers were-stay in front of the trailer - meaning don't jack knife it more than a few inches - let the truck idle to move - never back up more than necessary - all corrections are very small- if you have to pull out to straighten the trailer its inches rather than feet- stop the truck then turn the wheels and always know how far the wheels have turned - its OK to look - and above all move slowly.  All good advice and even though we were 90 degrees and a half a block away from the ramp it went very well.

We had to launch because its been five long months since our last sail and I needed to test locations for the new depth sounder.  We also planned to film a movie and have lunch at the Don.  Ha!  No wind- none -zip.  Well that's what Mr. E is for- he ran well at the dock  HARRR!A 100 yards out and the power dropped by half.  So we surrendered- threw out the anchor, put away the cameras and had lunch at 4pm.  Decided it had to be old gas and proceeded under half power to burn some of it off - got bored faster than we were moving- returned to the dock.  As the sun was setting I finally got the boat into the new dry slip.  Its really tough changing from looking out the back window to  using the mirrors.  My old brain  kept turning the wheel the wrong way and  I couldn't stay in front of the trailer to save my soul - Mixer came over just as I figured it out- so the ego was not completely deflated!~   Tomorrow I'm going to epoxy the depth finder in and maybe strain some gas and add some of that expensive high grade and hope for the best.  My sister is coming from Nebraska next week and I'd like to take her on an uneventful sail--What are the odds of that do you suppose???   Matt
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Bob23

Matt:
   Once you get used to backing up with the mirrors, you'll wonder why you ever did it any other way. It's just a matter of reprograming your brain, that's all. You've got a good teacher there with Mixer. I find that the smaller the trailer, the harder it is to back up. I've got a small utility trailer that tries to hide from me as we are backing up...sneaky little thing. Koinonia, on the other hand, has a big presence on the trailer. She's well behaved- on land or in the water!
   Bob23.

HideAway

Bob-  Yeah-- its just that reprogramming this ole brain part that seems to be the problem-- Marker 60 is just a couple of weeks away then its official  Matt
Largo, Florida

nies

Matt, As soon as you get the backing of the boat trailer down pat, we will start you on backing up two loaded hay racks at the same time, just something for you to look forward to......Phil

Bob23

Matt:
   Marker 60! Wow! Enjoy every day...do something productive...keep sailing! My father in law just turned 90 and sailed often up 'till a year ago. I know about that brain reprogramming problem. I tried to get a new brain a while back but they said that parts weren't available anymore- model was too old. Found a good used one at the junk yard but it had more miles on it than my vintage 1953 original so I'll just keep fixin' it up. Run it!
Bob23

brackish

Matt,

Hey that 60 marker is just a fading memory for me and it ain't all that bad if you ignore it.

With regard to your sister coming and the quality of the sail, it's in the hands of the gods.  As you know, sailing can be a white knuckle experience with high winds, seas, weather of all kinds, and it can also be nonexistent with zero wind, heat and humidity.  In the middle is that perfect day when you are clipping along on a beam reach with perfect conditions.  Having taken many "newbies" out in my sailing career, depending on the condition they see, some are hooked for life, others never come back.  My theory is it is the guest's "Karma" that dictates the conditions and their reaction.  Real sailors, of course, like it all.

When you become expert on trailering with mirrors, it's time for another video.  I could sure use the help.

Frank 2

HideAway

Phil my first real job was with the City of Oakes ND- OK it was more of a village- learned how to drive a '49 two ton Ford double clutching dump truck.  We made roads by dropping hot tar on the dirt then spreading gravel over it- By the end of summer I could dump a load of gravel backing up and making a nice spread - They never let me tow anything - probably for the best - I was 15 if memory serves

Bob I tried to find a new brain too but they said I had a software conflict with my drive or some such -

Frank 2-  This time of year we could have all of what you described or not.  If the weather is not right we'll just go for a float and maybe a drink.  You may have to wait awhile for a video on how to correctly back a trailer - the driver is having a software conflict with the trailer as above will continue awhile methinks-

Happy Thanksgiving to you all   Matt
Largo, Florida

SailMML

Matt,

I watched your movies with interest and wondered how long it would take for someone to suggest using your mirrors to back up.  Habits are tough to break but I have to think looking out your back window through the pickup bed and cap was tough going.  I also agree with the comment made that the larger/longer the trailer the easier it is to back up.  I have the same experience with a utility trailer.

The first time I went to back up my trailer this fall I had to back up from a road ninety degrees onto the ramp (4' tongue enxtension pulled out).  It was as if I had been doing it all my life it was so easy.  I have towed many boats overthe years and this is the easiest one yet.

Keep the films coming and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Norm