News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Storage/Mounts - Any good solutions out there?

Started by Greene, June 02, 2009, 10:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greene

The previous owner told me to just put a wool sock over one end and stuff it into the cockpit when we are trailering.  I thought as long as we are discussing mast crutches (in another post) that maybe we could share some solutions to the boom supports.  Has anyone come up with a simple, easy to use rack or mounting system?  I hate having my boom just laying in the cockpit bouncing around. 

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Deb

Greene

Hi Deb.  Puppy Luff is naked on the back end - no stern pulpits.  Currently we just put a wool sock over one end of the boom and set it in the cockpit with a "stretchy thing" (I didn't use the bad word) securing the back end to my mast crutch.  Not the most attractive solution, but I'll bet many of us do the same thing. 

Happy Sailing.

Mike

Deb

Hi Mike, Can't really help ya further as I have stern pulpits that I use to hold up my mast while traveling with a 2x2 and the "stretchy things"that are thru holes at each end securing the board.  Works perfectly and so easy..esp when setting up and lowering for the mast to rest on. Maybe consider some.  As for at the mast foot, I do put a  I__I   type piece of wood in and let the mast rest on this, using the bolt and  wing nut holding it.             I
The other end of the mast rests on the bow pulpit.
I use black foam   pipe insulatulation to protect here and there.  When the mast is down I pull the boom up onto the mast and with a long piece of the insulation I lay her on and secure, she is also resting inside the wooden mast support at the mast foot.
All you need is a way to support the aft end of the mast level with the other points and your good to go.
All the fixed rigging stays and just gets secured with those stretchy things....One of those dang things got me in the eye the other day .  Thank goodness I've not got a black eye but is it ever sore.  Deb

Craig Weis

On my Com-Pac 19 I have a 2 x 4 across the bow pulpit. And stern pulpit. The boards are long enough to allow the mast to ride 'tween these two boards off-center and this allows me to go below without fighting the mast when Comfort & Joy is trailered. I realize some Com-Pac's are not fitted with a stern pulpit. C&J was not. I purchased one from Hutchins.

The 2 x 4's are U-bolted on to the pulpit tubing and easy 'on' easy 'off' butterfly nuts are used. The mast is pvc electric taped to the 2 x 4's. I don't use bungees. The tape holds well and comes off clean unlike silver duct tape. I never undue the stern or side shrouds, simply tape them up out of the way. I have to loosen the stern standing rigging and push the mast fwd. to get my Harkin pin out of my furler and that assembly is also taped up to the mast.

One end of THE BOOM is placed over the little bulkhead that creates the anchor line locker while the other end is tied to a loop that is part of the portal dogs. When she goes down the road the boom's end tied on the dog can not bang around on anything below. The other end of the boom stays put.

And for really short trips to the other side of town in Sturgeon Bay I just keep the mast's foot in the tabernacle and lower the mast, taping it to the stern pulpit. The mast sticks way out but nobody cares.
skip. 

Craig Weis

On my buddies 19 the Tabernacle screws pulled out of some rotten wood when we went to put the mast up. This is a sailor who never cover's up his boat in the winter and lets the water creep into the cracks and freeze and expand. Opening up the cracks larger for a bigger water retention problem. Apparently he "don't care". A common problem to be sure..

So off we ran to the Ace Hardware store and bought four machine screws, finishing washers, acorn nuts and flat washers and a 3 or 4 or ? oz bottle of Marine-Tex 2 part epoxy. Not the smallest and not the biggest. Mix all of it at once to be sure of a proper ratio of resign to hardener.

I drilled clean through the cabin where the screws pulled out. One hole went through the cabin light but the light cover, covered the nut up so no one can see it. The other three machine screw holes landed around the compression post.

I filled the voids and holes up with Marine-Tex and pushed the screws through the finishing washers and the Tabernacle and into the cabin where my helper put the flat washers and acorn nuts on. [The machine screws had to loose a few threads for a good acorn nut fit.] Looked 'factory' when we were done. Additionally some 3-M 5200 slow set [the three day stuff] was applied to the entire bottom side of the Tabernacle.

Four hours later we were sailing. And all that cured up over night. That was two years ago. Get those screws to length and the nuts on before the Marine-Tex starts to cure. Dry fit everything first.

Let me add the tabernacle has very little to do once the mast is up and all the standing rigging has been run. Generally it is not a structural part. Aside from acting like a 'footing' for the base of the mast the actual load imparted on the mast is transmitted to the hull via the rig so really, really thinking that the tabernacle holds up the mast or is used to transmit the forces from the sail to the hull is a little too much. Hence four little wood screws from the factory is quite enough for the first few years. And careful 'look~sees' reveal that the mast actually sits on the heads of the four wood screws with the finishing washers around the screw's shank sitting on the tabernacle. 

skip.

Rick Klages

mikew

Mike, I stow it while trailering, in my tow vehicle. ( Chevy Blazer)  It rides between the seats. I keep the mainsail stored on it attached by the groove at the foot of the sail. The battens are installed and the sail is folded down and short ties secure it to the boom. (Just like its furled on the boat. ) This sure saves some time at the ramp when setting up.  At home I have some hooks in my garage and just hang it up, mainsail still attached, ready for next time.
Mike W. 

Greene

Thanks for the input and ideas.  It doesn't sound like there is one "best" way to transport the boom.  I'll try a few arrangements and see what works the best for me.  I just prefer to have everything secured and in/on the boat all the time rather than getting this and that out of the garage and putting them into the truck before sailing.

I've finally mounted a spare tire to the trailer frame so that is one less item to remember to put in the truck before driving away.

The same thing goes for our rudder.  Right now I store it in the garage and HOPE I remember to put it in the tow vehicle (along with the sail bag) before I leave.   I built and attached a simple engine mount (based on a picture of someone else's design) on the tongue of the trailer so I wouldn't have to put ol' stinky in the truck.  Maybe I can adapt that mount to hold/store the rudder as well.

daryl81

I mounted a 9' piece of 4" PVC under the boat to the trailer cross members with all thread and aluminum brackets. Glued the back end cap on and drilled 1/2" holes along the bottom of the cap to let water out. I drilled 2 holes in the front cap to put 3/8" rope through and tied with overhand knots on the inside for a removable lid. The boom fits in snugly and is always with the boat ready to go. You may be able to use 6" PVC and leave the sail on the boom.