a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hobie Mast on a CP 16

Started by me262, September 07, 2009, 11:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

me262

Bought a CP16 with a broken mast. Having a spare Hobie mast, I was able to cut it to the length of my other 16's mast (17'1") and measure and attach all CP16 mast hardware to it. Only thing that did not match up perfectly was the forestay which was about an inch short of the bow connection. Shrouds were fine...did not have to adjust them. Fixed the forestay problem by adding a swivel and adjusting the turnbuckle in (which was all the way out to begin with). I am wondering if the last owner had it too tight or replaced the forestay with one that was too short???? Maybe that's what broke his mast?!?!?!?!?

At any rate....the hobie mast is about 1.5X's the circumfrence of the original CP16 mast. Anyone see any problem with this arrangement? I did not have any problem raising the mast.

Also, the sails were not original. Being a close fit for the jib, the main is about a foot too long causing the boom to be lowered that much. Any problem with that other than having to duck on a tack? Guess it could be reefed in a foot if need be.....

These boats are under-canvassed anyway...maybe a larger main will help?????

I haven't sailed it yet, but i suppose I will this week.

Bob23

Give it a try and let us know how it works. It wouldn't be the first time a mast was swapped out. I don't like a boom that booms me in the head. You could get the sail recut to fit correctly.
Maybe you could rake the mast forward a bit to allow the forestay to work. I read somewhere on here that the 16's, like the 23's, like a bit of forward mast rake.
Bob23

newt

There you go Bob- allowing a non Hutchings gear on our boats. Next thing you know we'll be sailing with chain-fence posts and I-beams for mast and Catalina sails for gosh sakes! :) (sounds like a good mod to me)

Bob23

Newt:
Sorry...I had a lapse of reason...or I mis-spoke. Either way, please don't tell the Hutchins on me! 
   Hmmm...I beam mast. Sounds heavy, man, real heavy. But you will never find Catalina sails on my boat. No way.
   I suppose a Hobie mast would work. Must be engineered to withstand some lateral forces considering the crazy things I see Hobie guys do. Of course, if it comes down while sailing in some real wind, that's not a good time to regret not using original equipment, eh?
   I find that my Tundra likes original Toyota parts better than after market stuff. Fits better, lasts longer. And doesn't cost a whole lot more.
   I recently went for a brain transplant and requested original 1953 vintage parts. I was disappointed to find out that they haven't made replacement brains for this model in years. Had to go the the local junkyard and it was still hard to find. Then had to order an adaptor to get a newer model to fit. Transplant came out ok. Friends say they see no difference in my intelligence level. Hmm...wonder what they mean my that!
Bob23- who else?

newt

LOL- I don't see any need to transplant- unless its hair follicles on my head!

Bob23

I don't have much but I do have plenty of hair, all original. Of course, it's self-employed grey in color. The ladies love it! Well, at least they laugh a little...I guess that means they love it!
Bob23

Craig Weis

I don't see a problem with a 1.5 + size on the Hobby mast. So how well does this mast fit the tabernacle on the cabin top is my question?

As for the sail aloft, up as high as you can and down haul tight is the best option without going to a sail maker for a 'nip and tuck'.
Nice to hear from you, I'm not too hip on the Yahoo Com-Pac site primarily because it is hard to use...skip.

me262

Seems to fit fine. Can't rake the mast as it is bigger diameter, but shouldn't be a problem. Hope to launch it this week to see how it performs. I now have two of these boats. Will probably sell this one as I have a 19 coming this week. 6" of draft makes a hugh difference here in the back bays of Texas so the 16 will definatly have a place in my 'fleet'!