a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Loose-footed main?

Started by nwilson, June 01, 2009, 03:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwilson

I just purchased an '84 CP 16.  When I tried to rig her up in the driveway today, I noticed that the boom does not have a groove in the boom for the foot of the mainsail.  Apparently, a previous owned replaced the boom.  Does anyone have experience sailing a 16 loose-footed?  If you have done it -- how did it go?  I assume you must be giving up something in efficiency or responsiveness, but hopefully I'm wrong.  Any words of advice would be appreciated . . .

Rick Klages

Does your main have a bolt rope for the foot?   Footless is a common "upgrade" along with full batten "bat wing"  mains. 

nwilson

The main does have a rope in the foot.  I'm not sure if it's what you'd call a "bolt rope", though.  In a loose-footed mode, I'm assuming (since I've never sailed that way) that the sail would be held at the clew and tack and be loose (unattached) in between.  I'm wondering if I need a special sail or if the standard CP main will be OK.

KPL

I just ordered  a new main and genoa for my 1982 CP16.  I intentionally ordered the main loose-footed.  It attaches at the clew and tack.  On the tack there is a 3"slug that slides in the bolt rope slot.  This keeps the tack from lifting off the boom when the outhaul is eased.  If your boom doesn't have a slot, consider a section of rope or webbing around the boom to hold the tack close.  The outhaul will still adjust the tension of the foot.

For light airs, ease the outhaul, it will put more camber (curve) in the main, increasing lift and hence power.  In heavier winds tighten the outhaul for a flatter main to depower.  Also, if you your outhaul is too loose, you can't point as well, as a curvy main will stall (luff) sooner than a flatter main.

As far as performance and efficiency, you will find most performance rigs use loose foot mains.  I wouldn't ever call a CP16 a performance boat, but I can't see the loose foot being a negative in any way. 

Happy sailing!!

Kevin

nwilson

Thanks Kevin,
We appreciate your advice! We haven't launched her yet, as we are still getting acquainted with her rigging (apparently not original) and doing some hull/deck cleaning/inspection before taking her out for the first time. She had been stored for 3 years by her previous owner who never even got to sail her so he couldn't tell us much about rigging her. That replacement boom threw us for a loop though. It didn't match what we were reading. Hence or question. I think we've got it though, and after a 20 yr hiatus from sailing, we can't wait! We will use your good advice. Thanks!
Nate's mate, Niki