a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

anchor

Started by jcatkeson, May 28, 2009, 03:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcatkeson

I bought a 1981 CP 23 recently (and am delighted with its sailing qualities). It came with a Bruce 15 kg anchor which and seems a tad much. Was this standard or the product of an overcautious owner?

Donzen

Are you sure it's 15 kilograms ??
If you're sure its Kg then that means it weighs 33 lbs. (2.2lbs/kg) I think that would be a lot of over kill for a 23 ft boat.   However it could be a storm/hurricane anchor.

If it's 15 lbs then I think it is a very good sized anchor, - and you will sleep very well at anchorage.  If it's 15lbs you've got a good overnight anchor.  If it is too much weight for you to handle, consider a 8-10 lb anchor as a back-up "lunch hook."
IMHO

Craig Weis

If it's 15 lbs then I think it is a very good sized anchor, - and you will sleep very well at anchorage.  If it's 15lbs you've got a good overnight anchor.  If it is too much weight for you to handle, consider a 8-10 lb anchor as a back-up "lunch hook."

Real good advice. Ad 150 foot of three strand line to the Danforth. And about 11 foot of chain, my is vinyl coated to hold it's shape on the fore deck. And tie the line to the compression post, just in case of an accidental drop. Or theft. skip.

jcatkeson

I meant to write 15 KG or 33 lbs.  Not to heavy for me just seems rather large.

Donzen

Well it is a rather large (heavy), 33 lb beast, -- and if it's got chain on it, say 10-12 ft of 3/8" chain you're probably talking another 15-20 lbs.  So then you gotta muscle up something like 50-60 lbs of iron and then if it's well set you're gonna have to put out some effort to get the darnn thing unglued from the sea floor.  (Use your engine to help you here!!!) Sounds like your anchor is too big for your boating pleasure -- but keep it for the nasty weather stuff you may encounter some day.  But discontinue using it for pleasure week end type cruises.  Get comfortable with your anchoring techniques.  You don't need that kind of weight in "most" conditions.

My thinking here (depending on the type of cruising you do) would be to consider downsizing to a smaller anchor. ie 10-15 lbs max. if you are a lake sailor overnighting on a weekend basis.

Personally I will carry (on my CP-23) a 22 lb Bruce and a 20 lb Danforth with adequate chain and rode for anchoring Bahamian Style when I'm out in changing/differing winds and currents.  I have overnighted comfortably on an 8 lb (well set) danforth without any problems during placid weather conditions. And quite frankly I think I use it more often than the others......Regards, Donzen

dawntreader

A few considerations. 

How and where will you be sailing.  A cautious lake sailor needs a lot less anchor than a less cautious open water sailor

33 lbs that high up that far forward may affect your trim. 

I read an article that talked about having an anchor that is easy enough to handle that you would not hesitate to pull it up 3 or 4 to get it to set properly.  The thought being, if it is too much of a hassle at the end of a day's sail, one might settle for a less than optimal set, which could lead to trouble later in the night.

Can your crew manage 33 lbs if you are busy or out of commission

That said, I opt for as large as my wife or I can easily manage.  My boat has ridden out hurricanes with a well set 15 lb Bruce ( in a creek with a lot of scope).

I'd say that the previous owner was overcautious or that the Bruce was a storm anchor.

Mike

ka8uet

I sail on Lake Erie, and she is notorious for her square waves and sudden storms.  I carry three anchors.  The main one is a plow, sized for my 23.  I carry a similarly rated danforth style as a backup, and a much larger Fortress as a storm anchor.  The spare anchors and their 300' of rode plus 12' of chain live under the saloon berths.  The main anchor, with its 8' of chain and 200' of nylon three srand live on the bow.  Anchor secured on the sprit, chain lying along the deck, nylon down the hawsehole to the anchor locker.  I agree that scope of rode is more important than weight of anchor in keeping you where you want to spend the night!