Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rig Tension on CP23's

Started by Steve, July 23, 2008, 09:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Hey all,
Has anyone used a tension gauge to tune your rig. I'm just curious about the amount of tension others might have. I used to do the old "get it centered, snug and go sail" way. Tighten the leeward shrouds so they dont flop when close hauled in 10-15kts. But the last few years I have used one of those Loos rig tension gauge to keep things even. And with a few different schools of thought on tension I thought I'd throw it out to the CP23 owners to get the real scoop.

Steve

Bob23

Steve:
   I, too am curious. I know enough to be dangerous...tension should be equal. In a box left by the previoius owner, I found a tension gauge, but have not played with it. I do know that excessive tension can cause damage to the mast foot and undue stress on the rig itself. Maybe I'll email the Boys in Florida...gotta talk to them about an unrelated matter. 
   Bob23, not under stress while sailing!

Steve

Thanks Bob,
Let me know what the Hutchins' Brothers have to say.

Cant wait for the Bash!

Glenn Basore

Earlier this year I email Gerry H. and asked him what the tension setting should be for my 2006 Eclipse, I was surprised when Gery told me they had no setting for the shrouds !

Glenn B.

newt

I use a tension gage on my CP23. They don't have a recommended tension set for wire that small (on my gage!)so I gave about 600 lbs to each shroud, and made sure the spreaders and mast all looked symmetrical. I did not tension the forstay as much, and then used my adjustable tension for my aftstay to tighten the whole system down to where I felt comfortable. Did it early this spring and have been happy as a clam with it. Took me about 45 minutes.
BTW- tension the  longest shroud on either side first, then the smaller ones- switching sides and gradually increasing tension. Kinda like you would torque an engine head to the block. At least that is what I did.

"may the wind on your back not be your own..."

Paul

Newt, I like your quote.  LOL.

I don't know the answer regarding tension amount.  But, I think Newt has the right idea about symmetry.  That sounds like a good method.

I will throw this in.  The mast rake on both the CP-16 & CP-23 is the same; a few degrees of forward rake.  Balances the boat better.  I can really feel the difference when I played with it.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Craig Weis

I sail the rig sloppy loose. That is the windward side is tight. The lee side is loose on shrouds. [side stays]
The forstay and aft stay are snug enough so that the furler is snug but not so tight that I force the mast down hard on the compression post as I'm not trying to force the mast through the bottom of the boat. Or bend the two lag screws that hold the compression post on to the plywood bulkhead former at the end of the vee birth.

ka8uet

I tune my rig by ear.  First I set the forestay and aft stay for that small amount of rake forward.  Then I tune each capstay to the same not when twanged, (about the second g below middle c on a piano) and each side stay to the same note.  Not the same note as the capstay, but the same as its counterpart on the other side of the boat.  It seems to work well.  I'm also aware of  the dangers of putting too much pressure on the rig!  When sailing close=hauled, there is a little slack, but no sag, in the off wind stay.  Don't want the rig moving around, either!  I also use an old nylon instead of gloves to check for meathooks in the wire.  It will snag on the ones you don't see until the draw blood!