a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

IDA SAILOR RUDDERS

Started by tom t, June 04, 2008, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom t

IDA SAILOR NO LONGER MAKES THE RUDDER FOR THE CP16.  I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT MAKING MY OWN.  I WONDER IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME THE MEASUREMENTS OF THE RUDDER, ie HEIGHT ( OF AIRFOIL & TOTAL ), WIDTH, & MAXIMUM THICKNESS ( & HOW FAR BACK FROM THE LEADING EDGE MAX THICKNESS IS).  ALSO, WHAT IS THE CENTER MADE?  I KNOW I HAVE ASKED FOR A LOT & ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

THANKS, 

TOM

DOUG142

Tom,
Shine on!  I just finished making my own NACA 0014 foiled rudder for my CP-16 , Summer Escape.  Look at pics of it in this website under my photos.  If interested I can give you where to find the program for the airfoil and a bunch of pictures of the building .  Answers your questions of dimensions and I used the old stock rudder for in the center, plus a strip of rock maple wood. 
Email me.

It was a bit of work and fun also.  But we finally got to test it this past weekend and it was well worth the effort.

Doug142,  CP-16
Summer Escape
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

jackaroo

hutchins has the rudder for the cp-16 available for $192.85. you can call and order @727-443-1088

jackaroo

actually that price is for the casting rudder....not sure what that is, but they also have the rudder blade, the tension handle, the rudder assembly, and the tiller available.

GlennB724

Ida sailor lists the whole rudder assembly... including tiller.  kinda pricey at 479... but considering the rudder blade alone for the cp 19 is 400, it seems like it's not too bad.  def. a bigger investment than the old price... if I remember correctly somewhere in the 150 range.

hobnob

IdaSailor does in fact still make a foil rudder for the CP16.  I was down there talking to Joel today (he was touching up my rudder) and what's happened is just that they've changed the item they sell.  They USED to sell just a blade that replaced the old blade.  This has an aluminum attachment at the top and HDPE blade at the bottom.  He had an old one left over for a different boat that he showed me and it's about the same physical size as the OEM one.  What they have now is a complete assembly.  This includes a solid HDPE rudder that's significanlty longer than the original, a stainless steel rudder head with hydraulic cylinder, and the tiller handle.  Not only does it sail circles around the OEM one, it looks a million times nicer.  The only issue I had is that the pintles on their rudder head are larger in diameter than the originals, so I had to drill out the cast gudgeon plate on the boat.  Joel was saying that as a general matter of course they don't keep stock of ready-made assemblies; they're basically made to order.  Due to administrative issues, this may sometimes cause the item to get deleted from their web site.  But since they're all made to order and they already have the design, they'll most certainly make one.  In fact Joel seemed quite surprised when I told him that a lot of people on this site seem to think they're discontinued.