Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I'm new to Jacksonville Florida

Started by wildwill, April 20, 2009, 10:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildwill

Hello Everyone,

I have recently moved across the state from Tampa bay area and am wondering if anyone is from jacksonville. I have been to the launch at mayport and am wondering has anyone sailed thier com-pac 16 out into the coast from there. The current from the river and the tides collide right there and it's a shipping lane ontop of that. the jetties are all sharp granite. help...

Thank You,

Will Weaver

texasnomad

Will,

I'm working on my third year as a Jax resident.   I've never sailed out to the Atlantic, much less from the Mayport ramp, but I've sailed the St. Johns and around St. Augustine.  The launch at Lions park close to Jacksonville University is pretty nice, not so busy, and not as many big ships as the portion of the river near Mayport.   Probably one of the best sailing venues is from the ramp down at Julington Creek in Mandarin which  is quite nice and gives immediate access to some of the widest portions of the st. johns without the cargo ships.   Let me know if you need more specific info.  Also let me know if you need crew!  I'm currently restoring a cp16 and she isn't seaworthy yet.

-Damon

wildwill

Hello there,

I am an ex-navy boatswains mate and would be glad to help you restore your cp16. I did belong to the rudder club for a couple of years and sailed around the bridge on the st. john's, but I do not have a Genoa and with the light winds on the St. John's the boat performed sluggish compared to Sarasota and Tampa bay where I could get a good 15 knots and slight chop.

email me at will@wildwillweaver.com and we can exchange numbers. I would enjoy talking to another cp owner and sailor.

Thank You,

Will Weaver

wildwill

BTW: Do you have a Genoa for your cp16?