News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Purchase of a Picnic Cat about to happen!

Started by Jim Fynes, November 25, 2004, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fynes

Hi, I am considering the purchase of a beautiful Picnic Cat, so far I have not seen the boat personally, just photo's over the internet. The owner has indicated that there is some gelcoat crazing on the deck area and around the hatches. Is this a big problem, is it common on Com-Pacs and does it need to be addressed.  Any thoughts or advice regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated.     Thanks Jim :(

Craig

Jim,

The Pinic Cats are a new addition to the Com-Pac line.  There should be NO gel coat crazing anywhere.  If there is it sounds like the boat has been abused mightily.  OR Com-Pac did make a CP 14.  I've never seen one, nor have I ever seen any literature on one.  Maybe that is what you're looking at.  I can tell you my 1980 CP 16 has a few dings and scratches in the gel coat, but no cracking or crazing.

Craig

Jim Fynes

Thanks for the quick reply. The boat is definetely a Picnic Cat, I have seen one up close in my town and the pictures of this boat. It is a 2000 model.  So what do you think could cause the problem and how serious is it.  It is supposedly just on the surface in a couple of areas of the side deck and around the forward hatch. I was in full speed ahead mode until this came up but I am not looking to purchase a major problem or costly fix.  Even though this is the smallest of the Com Pacs, it is serious money for a small open daysailer. I had sticker shock for awhile when I found out the cost of these Cats but finally adjusted or rationalized, whatever.
Any thoughts will be appreciated.  
Thanks   Jim

Craig

Jim,

I have no experience with the Picnic Cats.  Crazing comes from the fiberglass underneath the gel coat flexing causing the the less flexible gelcoat to crack.  How serious a problem is this?  I can't say for sure, but it could be anything from a poorly tuned rig that stressed the glass around the mast to a construction problem.  The people at Com-Pac are very easy to talk to.  Try giving them a call.  Also, try posting this on the Yahoo site and see if any other Picnic Cat owners have the same issues.  If this is a characteristic of the Mast Tendr system then the SunCats and HorizonCats may show the same crazing.

Craig

CaptK

Jim -

IMO, the gelcoat crazing is probably more an issue of looks than one of structural consequence. Could be that someone at the glassing factory used a little too much MEKP, or sprayed too thin a layer of gelcoat, or something like that. Ie; that's not the way a CP should be, but I don't think it should stop you from buying the boat, especially not if it looks like you will be saving some money. Good luck!
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...