a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Chesapeake Bay Cruise

Started by tmorgan, June 19, 2008, 01:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmorgan

Gretchen and I just returned from a cruise on the Chesapeake Bay.  Our Sun Cat (SunShower) performed wonderfully.  We sailed the mid section of the bay and visited Reedville, Tangier, Onancock, Crisfield, and Smith Island.  The heat wave drove us into a B&B one night.  Otherwise, it was a great cruise.  We have little movies cataloging each day on You Tube.  I will try to put a link here for those interested.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=51389FD684F3C6D2

mayrel

I viewed your you tube videos' and found them interesting.  We're considering a Sun Cat to do basically the same kind of cruising.  I'm curious how it handles heavier seas?  Having never sailed a cat rigged boat, they do however have a reputation for stability and seaworthiness, as well as good speed, even on a beat?  I had a Skipper 20 and got caught on the Chesepeak in a storm that lasted about 6 hours, with winds in the 55mph range.  We ended up anchoring up out of the channel near Wartons' Creek until the storm settled down some.  The boat did well, no damage, but it was a ride.  Considering this can happen to anyone, I'm most concerned about a capable boat vice speed and looks.  I'm also curious about how you managed the portatpotti; is there enough room to store it adequately?  That brings up the question of available storage; seems it's limited?  We plan to anchor out only occassionally; mostly find a marina and use their facilities and just sleep on the boat.  We don't plan to do a lot of food preparation either, although I think one of those stanction mounted BBQ's would work well along with a small bulkhead mounted propane gimbaled stove.  That brings up another question about room for a cooler?  Any comments will be greatly appreciated...early thanks...John  you can email me direct if you like   mayrel@hughes.net

tmorgan

John,  I posted a reply to your other message as well.  Regarding accomodations...we measured the space under the cabin entry and bought a small porti pot that fits in there.  We have a BBQ mounted on the rail for the boom crutch.  We store food and utensils under the cabin seats.  We bought a cooler that fits into the cockpit locker and we have collapsible plactic jugs for water that we store in the cockpit lockers as well.  We each carry a duffle that we just store in the cabin and put on the floor at night.  We bought a plastic gas tank (6 gallons) that fits in the space in the cockpit under the seat.  There is adequate storage, but you just have to measure before you buy things like coolers, etc.  We also put the anchor on a bow roller so we could use the little space in the bow to store the chain and rode.  This got that stuff out of the lockers in the cockpit.  Now we just have our small second anchor in the locker. 

The Sun Cat is a really solidly built boat.  It performs well in a range of conditions.  When the wind gets up to 18-20 knots, it is time to reef.  Learning to sail a gaff rig boat in strong winds is definately different than sailing a sloop.  I got the Cat Boat Association books on how to sail a cat.  The first time I was out in winds that I needed to reef I was going up wind wondering (actually quite fearful about) how I was going to handle going down wind on my return home.  I did all of the adjustments suggested in the articles and the Sun Cat settled down and just surfed off the waves at 6- 7 knots all the way home. 

mayrel

Thanks Tmorgan for your response.  We are still researching various boats, but keep coming back to the Compac 19 and Sun Cat, and the Montgomery 17.  But after having viewed some video of the Sun Cat under sail, the ease of handling, tacking and overall managable size is very appealing to this 60 year old, haven't sailed in 8 years, wanna be a sailor again fellow.  Your response pretty much confirmed the Sun Cat is all the boat we'll need....happy sailing...John

tmorgan

I turn 60 in a few weeks.  One of our goals was a stable boat as well.
Tom

mrb

Quote from: tmorgan on October 02, 2008, 08:38:16 PM
I turn 60 in a few weeks.  One of our goals was a stable boat as well.
Tom

Hay boys, don't be getting old at 60 now. The Admiral and I was out on cycle the other day and met a group from the show me state.  One fellow not much older than me said "your doing it right, out riding while your young enough to enjoy it". I thought " you just don't know hoe old I am".  Then he said he was 81 and it was getting a little harder to enjoy the road.  Early this summer he had made a 3,000 odd mile trip and now they were on their way home from Hot Springs Ar.  I suddenly felt young.

Enjoy those cats for the great boat they are. 

Great sailing to you
mrb