Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

pram built for cockpit

Started by Ray M, February 22, 2009, 11:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray M

Hi fellow sailors,

Had the 16 out for 5 nights last Fall in the Puget Sound area.  What fun!  What a great boat.  I missed having a hard shell tender though.  I don't have a truck to pull the boat with and to put a tender in the truck bed, so then I thought, "Why can't I build a pram to fit inside the cockpit while I'm towing?"  So I've spent some time this winter designing and building a six foot pram that I can put in the cockpit upside down.  It's about 90% done now and I'll have it all ready for next summer and some cruising in Wash. and British Columbia.  My problem now is the color scheme.  Should I paint it to match the Compac or should I go with some combination of Mediterranean colors that I have seen on Greek fishing boats?  Such a tough decision!

mrb

I would say go for the Med. look.  Bet you would be happier and know spectators will appreciate it more than just another white skiff.

idouglas

I would go with traditional white.  The CP-16 has such a classic salty look, why not compliment it rather than distract from it?

idouglas
1994 CP-16 IIIXL

idouglas

ps.  Can you post pictures, once it is complete?

idouglas

Ray M

You're both right.  The Med look is great and I think I'm leaning for it.  I was in Greece some years back and completely fell in love with the small, open fishing boats I saw there.  However, the traditional, salty look of C16 is so great and one reason I love the boat.  I don't want the C16 and the pram to clash.  Such a dilemma, (actually I wish all my decisions could be as fun as this one is to make).  I'm going to be busy for quite a while and don't have time to paint it now, so I have lots of time to decide.  I'll try to get pictures up once it's all done.  Thanks for the advice sailors.

B.Hart

Hi RM, I am currently restoring a 1973 9' American fiberglass dinghy. The lines are similar to a 16,so it will be white with red and blue boot stripes and a American flag to match my 16. I modified a sunfish rig and sail for it, and plan to try her out this summer. Good luck with your project.  HAPPY SAILING  BILL