Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Teak Oil Stains on Deck

Started by Mundaysj, May 01, 2009, 10:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundaysj

Help!!
I have tried everything to remove the teak oil stains (from last year) on my non skid.  I've tried bleach, acetone, paint thinner... those blasted stains are still there.  And with her newly Cetoled handholds looking so pretty, and brand new drop boards ... well it is just heart-breaking.  Anyone have any ideas??  I'm desperate!
Thanks,
Sherie

Tim Gardner

Sherie,

I had the same problem from the PO on my 19.  I used Acetone, but here's what I did.  I took some modeling clay and flattened it out to about 2" in diameter.  Then I saturated a bit of paper towel with acetone, wadded it up into a ball, pressed it on the drop stain, covered it with the flattened clay, sealing around the edges.  I waited ten minutes, removed the stuff and used a power toothbrush to scrub the stain, repeated and Voila! stain gone.  (use an old toothbrush, acetone doesn't taste real good.)

tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Potcake boy

Sherie,
I haven't used it specifically on teak oil stains, but from my experience it works very well on oily substances and one of the only places I can find it anymore is actually at WestMarine. It's called Spray Nine and I've used it for years for everything from vinyl plastic auto interiors to tires and aluminum wheels covered in stubborn brake dust. That would be my first choice to try.
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Craig Weis

Just remember that like solvents dissolve like substances.
Gas/oil
Indelible ink/Acetone
I like the clay 'muster patch' idea.
So what dissolves fiberglass epoxy resign, as that is what will de-stain that material. Use sparingly
skip.