News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hello All - New Owner of CP-23 Here ... !

Started by Donzen, May 15, 2009, 09:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donzen

Hello All...

I am very proud to have just acquired a 1991 CPac-23 and will be picking her up in mid June.  Hailing port will be Washington, NC (not Washington, DC!!!) 
Looking forward to anybody that might be in that area to correspond with re the boat's pleasentries & peculiarities. 

My plan is to get reacquainted with sailing in the first place (I used to have an Island Packet-32) but have been off the sailing scene for 15+ years, and look forward to sailing this smaller boat. 

I expect to sail her up to, and through the Dismall Swamp into the Chesapeake Bay and back again. I would appreciate talking to anybody who has done this trip.  My future plans after I reacquire my sea legs is to sail down the ICW and push off to the Bahamas from Florida.   

I would appreciate any advice anyone might have re the strength and durability of the basic rig, any recommendations for upgrades, and especially for any absolute retrofits you might recommend - based on your experiences with the boat.

Sometimes you can sail a boat for years and never discover a common weak link some other owners are aware of.  I would appreciate any comments you might provide.......Many thanks, Donzen

Bob23

Welcome, Donzer:
   I am honored to be owned by my 1985 23/2 "Koinoina". We sail out of Surf City, NJ in the Manahawkin and Barnegat bays. As far as the rig, it's plenty strong right out of the factory. I haven't touched mine except to keep it tuned. I suppose the first modification I would do would be stronger chainplates and to f'glass the bulkheads to the hull. For any offshore work, I'd want to seal off the cockpit lockers from the inside of the boat.
   Look around here and you'll find such a wealth if information, it'll make your compass spin! As well as endless attempts at humor and wit!
Bob23, gettin' ready to sail today.

dawntreader

Donzen,

welcome aboard.

I've had Dawntreader, an '83 C-23 since '93.  Right now she's berthed outside of Hobucken, NC on the Bay River.  Just a stones throw from the Pamlico River.  We'll be moving her to New Bern in the near future.  I've sailed primarily on the Pamlico Sound, and at times in some real rough weather (the sound is shallow and can kick up a very nasty chop).  She's always done very well. 

I've done a number of upgrades for safety and functionality.  Some improvements that have served us well include:
1. a double reef in the main
2. a quick reefing system for the main
3. Topping lift
4. VHF
5. As mentioned above, replace rudder bushings
6. Dawntreader has a heavy weather helm, so I canted the rudder forward slightly, to balance her out.
7. Drilled a hole for a hold-down pin for the rudder.  When it rides up the weather helm is pretty bad.  I use a 1/4" nylon bolt as a shear pin.

The C-23 is mannerly, stable, and predictable.  I think you'll have a great time with your boat.

Mike

nick23

Quote from: dawntreader on May 30, 2009, 10:33:45 PM
Donzen,

welcome aboard.

I've had Dawntreader, an '83 C-23 since '93.  Right now she's berthed outside of Hobucken, NC on the Bay River.  Just a stones throw from the Pamlico River.  We'll be moving her to New Bern in the near future.  I've sailed primarily on the Pamlico Sound, and at times in some real rough weather (the sound is shallow and can kick up a very nasty chop).  She's always done very well. 

I've done a number of upgrades for safety and functionality.  Some improvements that have served us well include:
1. a double reef in the main
2. a quick reefing system for the main
3. Topping lift
4. VHF
5. As mentioned above, replace rudder bushings
6. Dawntreader has a heavy weather helm, so I canted the rudder forward slightly, to balance her out.
7. Drilled a hole for a hold-down pin for the rudder.  When it rides up the weather helm is pretty bad.  I use a 1/4" nylon bolt as a shear pin.

The C-23 is mannerly, stable, and predictable.  I think you'll have a great time with your boat.

Mike

Mike - how is your reefing set up on DawnTreader?  I was wondering how you are setup to have quick reefing with two reef points.  Can you reef from the cockpit? 

Donzen - here is a great resource for ideas for upgrading your CP 23:
http://www.faster-light.net/remote-access/

Excellent pictures and info.  I just launched my 1989 CP 23D in Texas a couple of weeks ago and have been having a great time.  I plan on trailering to Florida for some cruising and a Bahamas crossing next Spring, maybe late February or early March...maybe we can meet up.

-Nick

Donzen

I plan on trailering to Florida for some cruising and a Bahamas crossing next Spring, maybe late February or early March...maybe we can meet up.

-Nick,

Keep me up to speed with your plans...maybe we can team up for a crossing...Donzen

And thanks for your post !

dawntreader

Nick,

I am not entirely able to reef from the cockpit. 

I experimented with a kind of jiffy reefing, (homemade, due to being cheap) but it did not work smoothly enough to be dependable in adverse conditions.  DawnTreader is an '83, so my halyards are not led aft (yet).

My current reefing entails loosening the main halyard and affixing the reef point to boom (instead of slipping the clew over a horn, I have a ring installed and a quick clip to attach it).  Then in the cock pit I adjust the luff.  I have a line attached to a strap running up to the reefpoint, down to a turning block and forward to a cleat.  The first reef point is on the starboard side of the boom and the second is on the port side of the boom.  With practice, I'm able to reef single-handed rather quickly.  Of course, my mantra is "when you think it's time to reef, you are 30 minutes past time to reef"

fair winds,
mike