a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bottom Paint Removal - Peel Away?

Started by NateD, March 01, 2009, 01:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

I'm planning on removing the bottom paint this spring, and I found this thread where other had suggested the use of Peel Away. Is that still the recommended product if you use a chemical stripper? Any negative aspects that I should be aware of? I couldn't find Peel Away at West Marine, is there a good place to get it from?

mrb

welcome NateD

I've heard good about the peel away paint remover.  Was suppost to be good in that it captured the old paint for easy disposal among other advantages.

If West Marine doesn't have any only suggestion I could offer would be a thorough internet search. Sorry can't offer more help.
Melvin

mrb

NateD

Try www.peelaway.com       scroll down to marine section

Melvin 

Craig Weis

Are you taking about removing ablative self sacerficing bottom paint off? Just quick and dirty sand with some aggressive paper and slap on another coat .
Everyone here knows I wax my bottom three times [in case I miss] and do not wipe off any of the coats of wax.  "My bottom never sees water". I mean the boat's bottom. skip.

CaptK

There are other places to get PeelAway - like the Sherwin Williams store, or the big box hardware/lumber shops. As is usual, it is a lot cheaper from a non-"marine" point of sale.

Lots of info at the Ariel owners site, in the following thread:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=701&highlight=peelaway
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

newt

I noticed Peel away at of all places- home depot. Used it when I put a new bottom on a Cat 27. I have no complaints, but I haven't used other methods of removing bottom paint.

NateD

Well, I hope to take it down to the gel coat and wax it up nice. My original plan was to sand it down, but there are a number of layers of paint and it was generating a lot of dust, so I kind of like the idea of a chemical stripper.

Quote from: skip on March 04, 2009, 09:45:49 AM
Are you taking about removing ablative self sacerficing bottom paint off? Just quick and dirty sand with some aggressive paper and slap on another coat .
Everyone here knows I wax my bottom three times [in case I miss] and do not wipe off any of the coats of wax.  "My bottom never sees water". I mean the boat's bottom. skip.

Craig Weis

No I don't take her down to the [it's not really a true gel coat] fiberglass surface.
I just give her a lick and a promice and knock off the high spots and any flaky stuff, but I do the boat from waterline down.
Water wash with a little had scrub and let it dry off overnight.
Painted it the next day, glued on my KEEL BOOT two days later I waxed three times. Good enough.
I don't think my bottom ever gets wet. The wax is in the way.  Looking at my bottom pictures in Frappr at bottom of my posts I don't think my blue bottom came out so bad. 
Should have waited till after I glued on the KEEL BOOT with Marine -Tex and faired the epoxy in before I painted. I ran out of paint so I can't touch-up around the Marine-Tex.   skip.