a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rigging Time

Started by elibobeli, August 25, 2008, 04:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elibobeli

I am fortunate to have lots of time to sail, but unfortunate that I live 1hr from my closests sailing spot.  So that means rigging and derigging each time out.  Com-Pac claims a 10min timeframe to rig and launch the Eclipse.  I haven't reached this timeframe and really don't think I will, as I go at it a bit leasurely.  However, I would like to minimize the steps where possible.  Here are a few steps I do that I would like to see what others are doing;
remove the shrouds and stow for travel
remove the rolled jib and stow/bungied to starboard side
remove the rudder and stow in cabin
remove the outboard (55lbs) and stow in truck bed

How do you guys pack your boats for travel down the road?

Allan

AT

I never removed any of these items with the exception of a motor when I towed for 100 miles or so with a heavy motor (100 lb).

It usually takes me 30 minutes from the house to the water (I live 6 miles from a marina with a ramp). Rigging takes about 15 minutes. If I did it regularly, I suppose it would be even faster.

Glenn Basore

I never remove any of the items either and I leave my motor on the motor Mont in the lock down postion which was recommended to me buy Gerry (Com Pac)

My rigging time is about 30 minutes including the splash.

I do remove the rudder while towing and my wind indicator but thats it.

I too travel i hour to sail, in most cases I start the day before getting everything organized, boat washed, motor check, trailer checked ect.

the morning I'm ready to go, I check the rig again and head down the road.

Glenn B.

elibobeli

How do you guys manage the shrouds while going down the road?  How do you keep them tamed?

You guys don't remove the jib.  If it isn't removed it hangs out over the front of the boat, right?  What do you do to support it?

I traveled with the motor on it's bracket and down and the rudder attached to and from the lake.  All traveled well and was simpler for me.  Thanks for the feedback.

Allan

Glenn Basore

I use bungee cords.

I pull the shroud lines forward , without any strain on them and simply use a bungee cord to hold them in place.

The Genoa sail I slide back on the mast, you have to remove it from the top of the mast to do so, this is easy to do, slide the cover to the side and twist the top attachment of the sail out of the mast, now slide the sail back so its even on the mast. secure it in place with bungee cords making sure it is secured to the rail it is resting on.

I have pictures I could send you if you send me an email

glenn.basore@medtronic.com

Glenn B.

Craig Weis

I don't use BUNGEE cords only because as a H.S. student eons ago a classmate was hit in the face near her eye by one end of a bungee cord and hook as the darn thing let go and all that energy in the cord flung the hook into her face. She recovered but that was the end of bungee cords for me. Many of my friends who tarp the load don't use these for the same reasons. I use black PVC electric tape. Goes on easy, comes off easy. Or velcro. Good for one time use [the tape]. Better than going blind. skip.

AT

I do use bungee cords, but never extend them more than 10% or so of their original length. With this approach they are quite safe and still very convenient.

DanN

I use tarp bungees as general-purpose tie-downs on my 16.   These are bungee cords with a little plastic ball on one end -- considerably less intimidating/dangerous than the metal hooks on a standard bungee.     You can just wrap the tarp bungee around the mast and stays to hold them in place, and the longer ones make good sail ties as well.