a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Alternate Battery Placement

Started by multimedia_smith, September 18, 2008, 01:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multimedia_smith

After the recent storm, we were running on a generator with an electric start and after a few times of taking the battery from the car,  I removed the battery from the boat to start it.  It's an AGM (Absorbed in Glass Matting) sealed battery and is really really heavy.

Yesterday, we had wind from the North on Lake Ponchartrain and I just had to go...
no time to replace the battery.  I noticed a real difference with the performance of the boat.  It seemed to dig less in the bow without the heavy battery up in the forcastle.  It made me wonder about alternative placement.

I was thinking of the front of the cabin sole between the bunks... (can't move the porta-potty or obstruct standing in the hatch) but with more than one crew, the weight offset all the way to the bow in the anchor locker makes sense.

Before I put it back in place, I thought I'd ask...
Have any of y'all tried putting the battery in any non-stock places?
I'd appreciate any input from your experience.
Thanks in advance.

Dale

beshman2

I am going to try to put a battery in the same spot and will be building a bracket to hold the battery box I have.  I figure if the battery is centered over the keel, it should have little or no effect on the fore/aft balance of the boat.  On the flip side, I only have a light weight Minn Kota Riptide as a motor so no real weight on the stern beyond crew.

Paul

I'm thinking of the same placement, under the hatch and back a little.  Maybe a winter project.  Seems like someone recently was posting about the success he had recently.  Maybe it on the 19 forum.

So, Dale, sailing season officially started on Monday for you?!  First day of Fall.  :D  Keep us posted on your sailing adventures down there.  :):)

multimedia_smith

Ahh... Yes... It's (summer) Over!!!  We made it through another one.
The cool fronts are bringing down the much awaited dry air and north breezes.
Yesterday, I helped my friend Al rig his new (to him) '89 16 III and splash it for the first time.  Perfect weather... wind from the northeast at about 12 with no appreciable waves here on the North shore of Lake Ponchartrain.
We found his boat in Colorado after looking for a while... He wanted some features that are on my boat - Bow Sprit, Genoa Track, and Teak interior.  His boat is cherry! having sailed only in fresh mountain water.
A few bugs to work out with his furler if he decides to keep it.
When you say you're planning to place the battery in "the same spot", do you mean on the cabin sole or on the little deck between the sole and the chain locker forcastle?  In front of aft of the compression post?
It would be nice to have that weight lower... especially when single handing.
My Honda BF2 weighs about as much as my MinnKota 55 (28 lbs), so it's not a huge deal.  I have noticed that when single handing, if I ship any water, it runs to the front of the cockpit floor.  I may strap the battery into place in a couple of locations before actually mounting it.
What has your experience been.

B.Hart

Hi all, my battery is under the companion way aft of the port a potty storage. I do not know if this is the "factory" location, there was no electrical when I got the boat, It's easy to get to and the weight is on the keel, and low in the boat.  I finished all my summer repairers and will be on the lake tomorrow.   HAPPY SAILING   BILL

multimedia_smith

Hi Bill,
I think the general idea is to offset our "moveable ballast" (crew) by placing the battery forward... the factory location for boats with electrical is in the anchor locker or forcastle (pronounced folkshole)...
The question at hand is wether to place the battery on the keel or forward but not all the way forward... so as to get the weight located lower yet still forward.
I'm going to try a couple of things before sawing wood or adding fiberglass.
Dale