a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cold galvanizing spray paint

Started by Deb, August 22, 2008, 06:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

Going to paint the 84 trailer, want to use the Cold Galvanizing Spray Paint. (Hutchins suggested this)  There are lots of brands, looking at good ol RustOleum.....anyone ever use this?  Any suggestions?  Just put on all new rewiring, can I spray over the wires?  I've already prepped all the rust and primed them.
Deb

awamd

should work ok.  no problem painting over wires.
awa

beshman2

I tried that on a trailer last fall without doing adequate rust prep and had rust coming back though by this spring.  I am now redoing a trailer under the 1980 CP16  I just got two weeks ago.  I am finding the Rustoleum with the hammered silver appearance looks great... we will see how it holds up long term.  I am doing a little more sanding and prep work this time and the trailer frame is in much better shape than my old one.  I will try to post pics later as I have a million projects going over the next couple weeks including building an extension off my shed to park her under. 

Craig Weis

Sure paint her up right over the primer, wires, and all.
Is the primer an oil or water base?
Is the CGS a water base [?] or oil. I'd guess oil.
Would take a day and  brush it on not spray it on. So I don't miss a thing.
If the primer is Rustrolium, than the top coat ought to be similar. Me thinks. Fish oil and all. IMHO.

Hear here. The top coat will be "stuck on" to the trailer no better than the primer is "stuck on".

You can test the primer by taking a 3 inch long piece of Duct Tape and really press it on over the primer. Work it down hard and tight. Weight a few minutes and peel the tape off, not fast nor not slow but steady. Look at the sticky side of the tape to see what came up and off of the trailer.

Could also do 100 double wipes with MEK and an ear swab. Looking for primer on the ear swab, or razor blade a 1/4 inch square checker board pattern, three inches long,  through the paint down to the steel, apply three inches of tape and pull off the same way as above. Any thing come up than the primer will 'un stick' and you'll have to prep better. Or just paint it and forget it.

Can't say just when it becomes necessary to repaint. I painted my 16 foot double axle, steal flat bed trailer 22 years ago with OSHA safety Yellow alkaloid ___? something wich is an oil based top coat with zero primer after I finished welding it .  All I did was to hand wire brush the welding smut off. Always out doors and never repainted.  It's called maintenance. I don't do maintence. skip.

Deb

Skip...you lost me on the 100 wipes and Q tip thingy...which I'm going to pass probably anyway and just cover it all spraying wildly. but I do want her pretty .  I took off layers of stickers on the trailer today with the WD 40 soak before the hair dryer and scraper and it worked great. (See removing stickers post)  Working with Galvanized materials is very toxic due to the release of lead even with sanding, scraping. This paint has Toulene in it and that stuff is really nasty.  Can't tell if it's oil or water based...
Deb

Craig Weis

Well you can smell if the paint is water base or solvent. Is it not strange seeing how water rusts steel people feel that it's so cool to apply water base paint onto steel. but they do it. And soon tiny pin holes of rust start to appear. Amazing...

Aside from that the double wipes with MEK is simply an industry standard [the paint industriy that is] and if the cured either air dried or oven baked/cured paint's color starts to come off on the Q tip then the paint is not yet fully cured. How 'bout that? More then anyone ever needed to know. skip.