a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ease of customizing

Started by pahillbillybear, August 30, 2008, 12:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pahillbillybear

I have a few questions concerning the Eclipse    1.  How difficult is the Eclipse to customize.   2.   Will the company work with me to put the boat as I want it?  I would like to add a small two burner propane stove with oven.  I'd also like to add a small heating system.   3.  Any comments concerning sailing characteristics?   4.  Any comments concerning build quality?   5.   How do you feel about the open transom?  I have heard that with an open transom that water will enter the cockpit when the boat is sailing in a following sea.    I appreciate your comments

Bear

Craig Weis

1~What do you wish to 'customize'? And why? I thought she had an optional galley. And heat? I fuel tank would be hard to hide with no transom. And where to put the 'Charley Noble".

2~No I would not think that Hutchins boat building company will work with you to 'put the boat as you want it' simply because of Product Liability Insurance. If they tell or help you to change the Eclipse than they are on the line and responsible for your change. Hutchins will never get out from the law suit with your widow.

3~She is a fine cruising type boat with a calculated hull speed of what...around 5 knots. No racing and not much healing either.

4~There is not a better built hull and deck house, both with out a core center to rot, and materials such as a woven glass matt are far better than cheaper chop gun construction.

5~I am too traditional to think an open transom is a good idea. But when I asked Mr. Rich Hutchins about this design change at the All Sail Boat Show in Chicago, Mr. Hutchins simply said, "Why not?" So I say, "Water flows in and water flows out. So what?" If one sails correctly being pooped is not a concern.

If the boat is buttoned up for heavy seas she'll take much more than the crew can. And that is why I own a Com-Pac boat. People have sailed the smaller Com-Pac's  all over the seven seas. Calf to Hawaii, Alaska... skip.

pahillbillybear

Skip,
Good points.  And good points well taken.  I like to idea of a small oven in a boat.  I like the idea of baking a loaf of bread and inviting the folks from the next boat over to share.  Nothing like food to warm the hearts and make life long friends.  I didn't realize the Eclipse had heat.  What kind of heat is it?  You lost me on the term "Charley Noble".  What is that?     Thanks again Skip, for the comments.

Potcake boy

pahillbillybear,
From the implication of your forum name, I assume you sail mainly on a lake.
Your questions sound more like they are coming from a paranoid ice fisherman than a sailor- LOL. Sorry I was just making a joke as it sounded like you were making preparations for the thin ice as a result of global warming.
Seriously:
First off I am confident that Skip is absolutely correct in his assessment of Hutchin's likely response to after market mods on their products.
Secondly, I'd recommend that you approach these mods after very careful consideration of each change. This gear can cost a small fortune along with all the ancillary stuff necessary to complete the job. Have you perused the shelves of your local boat store recently, how about some common stainless steel nuts and bolts going for a buck apiece. After recently purchasing my CP19, I wanted to bring her up to my needs with some simple upgrades (far more modest than your aspirations) and my trip through the West Marine aisles sent me back to the drawing board to see how much of the stuff that I inherited with the boat I could reuse. I watched Flight of the Phoenix three more times.
Third, you may adversely affect the structural or performance design goals i.e.. liner strength or sailing trim.
Fourth, you are talking about a lot of work and a lot of chopping up your boat that you may regret later, and that would be difficult to return to original condition.
I haven't sailed an Eclipse, but judging from the specs and design the Hutchins company is clearly looking to offer a little more sporty appeal to their established traditional boat image. I'm sure she is a fine boat, but there are plenty of other mainstream trailer boats out there that offer the same.
IMHO - "you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear" - If you are looking for that level of comfort, maybe you should be looking for a bigger or different kind of boat. Have you considered a CP 23? I believe the 23 more completely embodies the sailing style you suggested. She would be a cozy vessel below at the end of a cold blustery day. I would speculate the stove and heat mod you are considering would be far easier to achieve in the 23, and not so out of context with the boats design purpose.
Except for major huge breaking waves (too big to be out there in a 21 footer) an open transom is not a safety problem, as you will mostly be surfacing down the face of these waves and the stern is elevated when you are eventually overtaken by the crest. The best chance of intrusion is when the stern has reached the bottom of the trough and the bow is still elevated on the back of the last wave. However transoms do perform some worthy services like a place to put your boat name or hang a ladder, a seat back when sailing dead down wind, another opportunity to mount a cup holder.
The build quality has always been a priority for this builder, and they have done a fine job of balancing that with producing a boat that's affordable. They're not Hinkle's but you'll never feel that you made a bad investment. These are also very sturdy and safe small boats. They have earned the nick name "pocket yacht".
It wasn't clear in your post if you shopping or are the proud owner of an Eclipse, but either way, I am confident that as builders, the great folks at Hutchins would be happy to share their views of how to best address your sailing needs.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Craig Weis

Say I can not find where I said that the Eclipse had heat. I asked if you were to install a heater, propane, coal, diesel, or what ever it's fired by...where is the fuel tank to go and not be in the way? Yet still be easy to refill. I can't think of a place on this boat.

If an oven is priority a propane stainless steal unit ought to be bolted down on a shelf installed by yourself, maybe over one half of the vee birth. Or as on a C-P 23 a pull out shelf above the quarter birth.

My only problem with the Eclipse as it was designed as the replacement for the C-P 19 [only because the 19's molds were worn out] is the dog-house [cabin top] is from port to starboard with no way to walk forward without going over the cabin top. This makes for a wider interior...but still kind of makes the Eclipse look like these 'modern day space ships designed today'.

The Charley Noble is the smoke stack of a ship's interior heater or stove used to cook mess for the crew.

One who has sailed in a snow storm. And 35 deg F water, and below freezing air temperatures it does not matter how warm the cabin is, the helmsman is still outdoors sitting on the bench. And global warming does not exit. skip.

AT

The Eclipse is too small for adding either a stove with an oven or a heater system without sacrificing most of the cabin space.

Sailing characteristics are consistent with the waterline length and low aspect ratio keel. the centerboard does not noticeably help with upwind performance.

Never had troubles with water entering the cockpit except of one occasion when I had 4 passengers on board (not counting myself).

Built quality is excellent.