a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

electrical questions

Started by jgalaxie, August 30, 2008, 12:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgalaxie

hello, i was just wondering if anyone knows of or has a wiring diagram to install running lights, and radio, depth finder, and maybe a charging outlet for phones, that kind of thing.  and, are there any links or sites for solar panels on the companionway hatch.  thanks so much, i'm learning!

Craig Weis

Sure there is a ton of stuff on this site to address those questions, nose around and see what you can find. Individuals and there posts can be brought up by clicking on there names listing all the posts they have done. Good hunting..Herr Captain. skipster. Or is that skidsteer?

KPL

I recently (last summer) hooked up the electric on my boat.  I used a 6 swtich/fuse seadog systems panel mounted in a 6"X9" project box from radioshack.  I mounted the box on the bulkhead to the immediate left of the companionway.   Inside the box is a negative bus bar and a positive bar, so that all the wiring is neat and tidy. I ran the wiring inside of wire mold attached to the teak batten that runs along the deck/hull seam.  It powers the mast head/anchor light (all around) as well as the bow light mounted on the bow rail. The mast head light is connected with a davis connected mounted through the cabin top next to the mast.  The wire is run up the mast to a stainless steel bracket that holds the masthead light.  I put zip ties every 6 inches along that wire so it doesn't rattle in the mast. I also have a 20watt halogen cabin light (puck style converted from a 12v under-cabinet kitchen light), and a lighted compass.  I plan to add a radio, cd player, fan and depth sounder/gps in the future.  I also have a 400watt inverter for my laptop.

I have 2 group 24 12 volt batteries mounted beneath the companion way for power (also powers my 34lb trolling motor via 72" 4ga cables to the rear of the boat. There's also a small solar panel on the fore-deck that keeps the batteries topped off.  To charge them, I run an extension cord (with a ground-fault breaker) down the dock onto the boat (I keep it on my dock out back).

If I get a chance, I'll take and post some pictures.  I'm very happy with the set up.

Kevin

romei

I would love to see some pics of this setup and I'm sure I will have some questions for you after viewing them.

Blog Site: http://www.ronmeinsler.com/cantina

"Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit."
-Brooks Atkinson

jgalaxie

thank you.  i'd love to see pictures.  except for the trolling motor, that sound like what i'd like to do.  so, if i'm not using the motor and my trips are no longer than 3 days, could i get by with one battery?  + where do you find solar cells?

Paul

Same here.  Looking forward to the photos and any tips!  ;)

KPL

I'll try to get some pictures tonight.

Two batteries is only because I use the trolling motor.  One battery is definitely enough.   The solar panel - a 15W came with the boat.

Kevin

KPL

Ok. Here we go.  I posted photos on flicker, not sure if I can get them to show here, so we'll try. - Full desciptions of sorts on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/24984627@N08/

We'll start with the panel. Radio shack project box, all stainless hardware. Mounted to bulkhead using holes that were there when I got the boat (probably a depthsounder was mounted there).

Here's the Batteries (I have covers for the boxes, should've moved my beer, oops!)

Solar Panel

Cabin Light

Bow light

Masthead

If you look real close, you can see the Nav lights on (not quite dark enough)

Let's hope that worked!

Kevin