a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 16 Q's

Started by me262, August 24, 2008, 11:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

me262

I have a '77 model that I bought for a song. Guess the guy was really in trouble to sell it soooo cheap! Glad to be part of your group!

Really like the boat and the trailerablity of the rig. Really simple to rig/launch/sail/load/un-rig by yourself. Great shallow bay sailor. Had a Victoria 18 prior which was similar but had an extra 6" of draft. Cabin space was almost identical.

I have a couple of questions:

1: Why are the older models sought after? Better fiberglass lay up? When I stand on the roof to step the mast I feel as though I'm going to go through it!

2: As for day sailing this boat seems to be fine.  What are the limitations of this boat. I have heard of Bahama cruising this model, but for me, a Balboa 20 or larger boat would make much more sense.

Paul

Congrats on your new purchase! And, welcome to the forum.

The cabin tops should be solid.  They should certainly feel solid.  Does the deck give at all when you stand on it?  Or, is it only the small raised portion under the mast step that gives.  These boats have solid cores.  That is, solid fiberglass.  Note that the mast step, bow cleat, bow eye, and transom have plywood core.  But, these are specific locations.  Large expanses of fiberglass should be solid.

Let us know.

me262

Cabin top gives when I stand on it to raise/lower the mast....that means my feet are a foot or so on either side of the mast step. I weigh in at 190 lbs.

There is evidence of repairs on the mast step. Maybe he de-masted and fiberglassed the hole. Not a terrible repair job, but something happened. Also, I think that after that happened, they towed it by the bow rail and tore it out as there is some fiberglass patch there. Boat sails fine and it really doesn't appear to be a major problem. Are you telling me that the cabin top is cored with plywood? I don't see any evidence of that. Heck...for $375 with a trailer, I can live with it!

Craig Weis

ME 262...like German Messerschmidt twin engine [early] jet fighters? skip.

Paul

Only the mast step is plywood core.  Otherwise, the rest of the deck is made of solid fiberglass.  I'd tend to agree.  If you're OK with it for that price, then have fun!!

Just consider it flexing for now.  Investigate the usual suspects inside, too.  Like around the compression post and the bulkhead it attaches to.

me262

Yep..the jet fighter plane....also a B.O.C. song from the 70's.....

Okay....thanks for the info. I'll just keep a watch on it. I sail it at Canyon Lake, TX and also on the coastal bays. Seems to handle that just fine.

TeamSlacker

Check out my album, I think I have a pic or two in there of repairs being made to my cabin top. Mine has a thin ply core 1/16" maybe? fiberglass had let loose from either side of the ply and made it a bit soft when standing on it. I left it dry out almost the entire summer last year, drilled a couple holes from underneath, had everything removed up top, used brush where I could reach from the hatch opening, and syringe to inject West coast epoxy back between the layers. Then as you see in the pics, had a bunch of preformed/sized 8"x8" or so sqares and different length 1x2"s that I 'pushed up' into place to hold it while epoxy cured. When I removed them all there was still one or two areas that were soft so I drilled holes from below and injected more expoxy in those spots. I know this isn't the prefered method of removing the entire bottom layer and redoing it, but I figured it was worth a shot, and so far (1 year) it's been holding up pretty dang good.

Craig Weis

Addendum:
OHHHH I'm sorry I confussed this with B.O.A.C. when British air had the Comet aeroliner [Yoke Peter, call sign, comes to mind] that had it's jet engines hidden deep inside the wing and buddied right up to the fuselodge. I can't think of one song from B.O.C. but I can remember the drum solo from Wishbone Ash in Phoenix...Ahhhh to be young again.

B.O.C. aeroplanes: tuff to keep the engines cool...I think that was one of the things to overcome.

So have you ever read Skunk Works by Ben Rich and Leo Janus?

At one time here in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin was two Victoria's and boy did they look pretty sitting on the trailer. Nice lines. Kind of a WOW! looky here...
No core but plywood reinforcements landing for the mast tabernacle and other hardpoints. Same standard 20 oz woven resin impregnated glass matt used through out production run. skip. 

Rick Klages

BOC = Blue Oyster Cult.  The song ME 262 comes from the album Secret Treaties (1974).

Goering's on the phone to Freiburg
Say's Willie's done quite a job
Hitler's on the phone from Berlin
Say's I'm gonna make you a star

My Captain Von Ondine, here's your next patrol
A flight of English bombers across the canal
After twelve, they'll all be here
I think you know the job

They hung there dependant from the sky
Like some heavy metal fruit
These bombers, ripened, ready to tilt
Must these Englishmen live that I might die
Must they live that I might die

In a G-load disaster from the rate of climb
Sometimes I'd faint and be lost to our side
But there's no reward for failure, but death
So watch me in the mirrors, keep in the glidepath

Get me through these radars, no I cannot fail
Not when great silver slugs are eager to feed
I can't fail, no not now
When twenty five bombers wait ripe

Me-262 prince of turbojet, Junker's jommo 004
Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn
Now you be my witness how red were the skies
When the fortresses flow, for the very last time
It was dark over Westphalia, in April of T45

Junker.s jommo 004 (repeat many times)
Bombers at 12 o'clock high

Interesting inspiration for a forum name.  Welcome to CP-16 ownership!

ick

me262

Thanks!

One more thing....my v-berth storage is full of foam...like someone sprayed it full for floatation purposes. Is this normal?????

Craig Weis

The foam is there to quite the 'bang' and 'slapping' when the hull beats into the wind.

It is not for floation as not enough foam could be put into the hull for flotation.
Not with that keel. Check my posts [Message 654] about two years back for the Coast Guard requirements for sailboats with keels. When I made space under my Vee birth I had to grind the foam out of the void and vacuum up the dust. skip.