a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replace Rollers Top of Mast

Started by Dan, September 25, 2008, 10:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have noticed that the sides of the rollers in the top of the mast are cracking off. How do you replace these rollers??

Dan

Paul

Are your sheeves riveted in place?  If so, the rivets drill them out.  The sheeves will come loose.  Take them with you to the Marine store (or online) and find the matching size.  Then rivet them in place.  Any home improvement store will have a hand held pop rivet.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks Captain Paul. I will try that. Is the top casting of the mast with the rollers replaceable?

Dan

Craig Weis

Yes the aluminum Dwyer's casting used atop the mast is replaceable and is only held in the hollow mast with two screws. So remove the casting with sheaves and drill or drift out the shafts and the sheaves will fall out. As Captain Paul says's take them with you for size and get replacements.

I pulled my masthead off only to see what was involved and to lube up the sheaves with NeverSeaze. Very easy to do. skip.

hobnob

You can also order most of the parts directly from Dwyer at www.dwyermast.com.  I replaced my tabernacle with a slotted one from their website and it works great.