News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Now the trip is over, some questions for the 23 crews.

Started by kchunk, July 31, 2008, 11:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kchunk

Remember, I bought my boat only last February. It was on the trailer when I bought it and we drove her 300 miles and splashed her a couple days later. This trip was the first time I hauled the boat and had the mast down since. That said...

When you folks launch or retrieve from your trailers about how far do you dunk your trailers? I think I've been backing in a little too far. I'd always run into a problem with getting the bow eye over the most forward rubber "V" shaped bumper on the trailer. It seems the boat was still floating making the bow a little lower at that point on the trailer. When we hauled her at Marathon, we found a great ramp that was about 100' of concrete. The only problem, was the slope was very gradual. After backing the trailer down and seeing just the back of the bunks submerged, and only a few inched at that, I thought "No way!" But I hooked up the winch and tried anyway. Had to winch the boat almost the whole length of the trailer ... and it went flawlessly. I'm beginning to think this is how it's supposed to be done rather than dunking as much of the trailer and trying to float the boat on or off.

The other question is steaming light...how do you turn it on? Mine never worked. The bulb is good. At my switch panel, I don't have a switch for steaming light. I have a switch for running lights for the bow and stern nav lights; a switch for anchor light; but nothing for steaming light. It's my understanding that the steaming light is used whenever a sailboat is under auxiliary power at night so having it wired to the running lights would not make sense. I thought maybe somehow it was wired through the motor switch (my o/b has cockpit controls) and powered by the running light switch. This would make the most sense. Unless I hear something different from you folks, this is how I'm going to do it.

--Greg

Paul

Greg:

My understanding is the Magic Tilt trailer is designed for the use you describe.  I haven't tried it with my 16, but I haven't needed to.  Glad to hear it worked for you.

Regarding the Steaming light.  If my memory serves, the running lights are used for "steaming."  You still need to let other boaters know you are on a sailboat, so bow lights, stern light, and mast light would be on.  If anything else is needed, Chapman's Book would indicate it for the length and type of boat.  I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't refer to it.  If the configuration needs to be different, then do let us know.
$0.02

kchunk

I found this on the internet so it must be true  ;)

Steaming Light: Sailboats under sail without motor will have all of the above except the Masthead Light (or Steaming Light, as it is called on sailboats). If they have the engine on then they are considered a power boat and must display the same lights as a power boat including the Steaming Light.

I did also find something on the internet saying that some boats will display the steaming light while under sail to illuminate the sails and identify the vessel as a sailboat. I suppose either way is OK.

Paul

So, I'm home again with Chapman's at hand. 

"Generally, power-driven vessels must display (A) a masthead light, (B)sidelights and (C) a sternlight."........."A power-driven vessel less than 12 meters (39.4 ft) may display an all-round whitel light in lieu of the masthead light and sternlight.......sidelights are required."  pg 119.  However, if a boat does not have an all-round masthead light, the white light on the mast serves the same purpose for steaming.  Turn it off for sailing at night.

On pg 128 there are illustrations of vessels of different kinds and lengths for "Interpreting running lights."  The power driven vessel picture agrees with the above statement.  The illustration for sailing at night indicates sidelights and sternlight only.  No masthead all-round light.  However, it also states, "If vessels less than 7 meters in length, need only have a white flashlight or lantern to show."  Unfortunately, 7 meters is 22.9 feet!!

Hope this helps.  Anyone who knows of more information, please feel free to add or correct this information.

Paul

newt

The steaming light only has to be on when you are moving the boat under power. My 23 has masthead light labeled, I flick that breaker and the steaming light come on. I have no other mooring light, so that is what they must have used it for. I also use it to work on the front deck on very dark nights(cloud cover without any other ambient light).

Craig Weis

Captain you are correct.
The steaming light [labled 'BOW' on my Com-Pac 19] ought to be used when MOTORING the sailboat. When she is not under sail.

Additionally a white stern light and a red/green [port/starboard labled 'NAV'] light forward must be displayed.

I installed a masthead light as an anchor light.
Every light on my boat is LED to save the battery. skip.