a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hull 492 / Standing Rigging

Started by nick23, July 18, 2008, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick23

Hi, I just purchased hull #492, a 1989 23D here in Austin, Texas.  She is a nice, well-equipped boat and the hull and interior are really in amazing shape for being 20 years old.  ...but, she has been neglected the past few years and needs a lot of elbow grease and some replacements to get going again – it's time to replace the standing and running rigging, batteries, etc.

Anyway, I was wondering who has replaced their standing rigging.  Does anyone have any recommendations for rigging shops online?  I am going to stick with the stock 5/32 rigging.  I got the Hutchins catalog and they have the price at $880, plus shipping I believe.  I haven't been able to get any other quotes yet because I haven't been able to measure the lengths of all the wire to send to any of the rigging shops.

Thanks,
Nick 

edbuchanan

Hi Nick,

Congratulations on the new boat, I'm sure you'll have much fun.

My rigging shop in Annapolis always wants the stay itself.  They also want to see exactly how the turnbuckle was set, i.e. a piece of tape indicating how far  the threads were set, or a photograph.  This way they can compensate for any tuning changes that were made and give you the best range of adjustment.

Ernie (Molly, 23/II 1984)

Bob23

Hi Nick:
   Are you sure the standing rigging is ready for replacement? Do you have fishhooks in the wire itself? My 1985 23/2 still has the original standing rigging and looks fine.
  Bob23 in NJ