a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

waxing

Started by Deb, August 04, 2008, 09:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

When I wax the hull do I go all the way to the bottom of the keel?
Deb

TeamSlacker

sure, as long as it's not painted with a ablative.
Is it smooth and shiney, same color as the top? then yup
Is it a dull paint that flakes off with your fingernails, then no.

Deb

I painted the bottom below the trim line with VC 17 m Extra with Biolux.  Is this considered an ablative?
Deb

Deb

Ok, I called Interlux....who make the VC 17.....
If I wax the bottom... the anti fouling property would not work....thus my question is answered and off I go to clean and wax....Thanks Folks
Deb

Craig Weis

For my first few years my C-P 19 bottom with factory primer and brown anti-fouling ablative bottom coat was waxed. Three times with the last time NOT rubbed off.
I wanted that wax barrier between the hull and the water. The idea was to keep the hull 'dry' and the paint 'not-watered'
It kind of worked, but looked like heck when she sat on the trailer.
Just an experiment.

This year I sanded the hull down to the automotive gray primer, in some places past that primer down to the glass. And painted the bottom with InterLux Fiberglass Bottomkote after wiping the hull to be painted down with #216 InterLux solvent per instructions.

I think it came out fine, including the trailer modifications and the lowering of the hull boards and removal of the keel boards to enable me to reach the whole hull plus 'hanging the hull' up on the hull bunks to work under the keel for the gluing of the KEELBOOT that I made from 6 mm aluminum scrap from work. Blue was the color. I bought 2 qts and that cover the hull from the boot stripe down. skip.

Deb

Thanks Skip for both the waxing and tire info...always a pleasure to read your responses.