a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Sails - Just got 'em

Started by KPL, June 01, 2009, 08:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KPL

I posted this on the yahoo site, but thought I'd stick it here as well.

My new sails arrived last Saturday from North Sails Direct.  http://www.northsailsdirect.net/CruisingSails.htm I ordered a loose footed main with slugs and a 155% roller furling genoa.  Both are 5oz NorDac Dacron.

First impressions are they are stiff – what a difference from my 1982 johnson sails.  The 155 is a bit smaller then my existing Genoa, so maybe the one I had was bigger than 155.  It's usually pretty breezy, so I'm not so worried.  Also, the 5oz cloth and the UV barrier make the sail a bit heavier, so I'm thinking a cruising spinnaker may be on tap next season.

The main is beautiful.  I love the shape control the loose foot gives.  I can really flatten the main to depower if needed.  I've also got 2 reef points, but haven't rigged the boom for them yet.  The  batten pockets are great with elastic on the inboard side, so when you slide the batten in it extends past the opening, then when you release it slides back past the slot and is locked in place.  Very nice.

For some reason, the ½" slugs were just a little bit big for the slot.  My heart sank.  Then I said, what the heck, and got out the dremel tool.  I shaved a little off each of the 8 slugs, drenched them in sailkote drylube, and they slide up the mast beautifully.  It's also a new experience to tighten the downhaul and only have the sail move ¼" inch.  With the old sail, the luff would stretch a good 3 inches under tension.

I went out for the first time on Monday (Memorial day) for about an hour.  Winds were 8-12 knots, just about perfect.  The boat sailed great, and is was a treat when a puff hit the boat accelerated instead of just getting overpowered by the baggy sails and healing.  Also, the telltales on the main (didn't have it on the old one) really helped me keep good airflow, and I really noticed the improvement (more speed, less weather helm).  I definitely was oversheeting a lot prior to this.

Anyway, the sails came to $740 for both with shipping and 7% NYS tax. 

The sails were made in Sri Lanka, (at least not China).  I had tried a couple of US lofts, and they were either a lot more (as in double) or wouldn't return my calls.  I got a great quote from JSI sails in St. Petersburg, but after spending a month trying to talk to someone about placing an order, I gave up.  I left two messages a week, and they never returned my calls.

Hope you all are having a great start to the season.

Kevin

B.Hart

Thanks for the review on the new sails, I will be buying a new main and jib soon.  BILL

Mike H.

Hey Kevin,

Congrat's on the new sails & thanks for sharing your thoughts on them...   I might be looking into some new sails myself, maybe start with a genoa?   

On another topic we should talk more about sailing on the St Lawrence or on Oneida Lake...   I like the idea you had of starting at Cape Vincent and going down river for a day or two or more.  I have a friend with a Sea Pearl 21 I've talked to about this very same trip.  Maybe we could get some other CP16's (or any size CP or other sailboat for that matter) from this site. 

Still have yet to put my boat in as I have trailer registration issues, expect to put it in within a week or so, trailer registered or not...  I may put up a separate post about this.

Mike

Steve Ullrich

I asked around about a set of new sails for my new to me C-16 and got a very quick reply from Super Sailmakers.

I'm pretty sure that the sails are actually made in Thailand by Rolly Tasker International.  I've purchased sails from them in the past
for other sailboats and they are first quality at a good price.  They make a huge difference in performance and handling...

Steve
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Potcake boy

I also purchased sails from Rolly Tasker for my 19 but through Dirk at National Sails - I can affirm the quality and price statements. The cut is perfect and the construction robust.  The price is a real bonus - leaves something in the budget for beer.
I had my main built loose footed and with full battens.  Dramatic improvement over the OE sail.

Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Salty19

Hi Kevin,

I agree with all you've said about new sails.  They make a remkarkable difference in speed, safety and sailing enjoyment.

I also got new sails this year from FX.  Have about 6 uses thus far.  They were about $640 w/ shipping for a loose footed main, 1 reef point, 3 battens, 155% genoa with UV cover and foam inserts for furling (and no hanks).  Bags included.  No hull numbers but have the Compac 16 logo and telltales.  The quality appears very good..but then again I am not a sail expert so tough say they are premium or good quality.   Everything fits well and shows no signs of poor execution.  Delivery time took awhile though.  My order fell through the cracks but they rushed to finish it before the season. FYI, FX had a loft in Cleveland, OH make them.

Luckily I ordered them in Jan so that fall through wasn't impacting to the season, just stressful that it took awhile.  No problem with ill-fitting hardware either.

One thing I did notice is the old sail had slugs that slipped into the mast.  The new sail has bolt rope up the mast.  Seems a little harder to raise the sail. probably needs lubrication or I need to get to the gym.

As for reefing, remember these boats have roller reefing.  You untie the main halyard, grasp the boom the pull the boom horizontally towards the stern of the boat.  Not much force is needed.  Then twist the boom and start wrapping the sail around it.  There is a mechanism that will lock every 1/2 revolution. Just keep pulling and twisting until the sail is reefed/wrapped around the boom to your grommet points.  Then tie off the grommets.  I have yet to make the tiedowns myself, but have reefed already without them.  Obviously with the sail wrapped around the boom, I can't tie it off the cleat. 
Probably will make some jiffy reef type hold downs with bungie.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603