Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sink and Water Supply

Started by Mundaysj, May 21, 2008, 03:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundaysj

Well, Here I am with another one!

The CP23 came with a stainless steel sink, a pump faucet and a 14 gallon tank for fresh water under the v-berth, according to the literature.  The previous owners of my boat did not use the sink and they have some kind of plastic tub on that side of the slide out galley.  I found the sink and faucet in the cabin seat lockers....so...I want to get them functioning again.  How can I tell if there is 2 year old stale water in the tank?  How can I tell if the tank is functioning (no holes, etc.)? and how do I get to the tank to hook it up?  Or should I just purchase one of those pliable water tanks that look like bags and go from there?  Does anyone have pictures or a diagram of the plumbing?

Thank You,
Sherie

Bob23

Sherie:
   My 23 came with a bladder which was piped to a foot pump via clear plastic tubbing. I would expect yours has the same. The bladder is accessable from the plywood cover under the front of the v-berth, just this side of the teak panel for the anchor locker. It's kinda down there a ways. It's filled from the filler cap on the forward deck, starboard side.
   I checked my owners manual...not much more there than what I've just told you. If you have a solid tank, it's not original equiptment, to the best of my knowledge.
   Does yours have a foot pump? Can you pump out the old water with that?
   As an aside, I just removed my sink. I found it too shallow to be of much use. I only fill the  bladder to provide some weight forward to help her point just a bit higher. I plan on using the sink location for a chart table. I was gonna use the bladder, pump and hose arrangement for a fresh water wash down system, but haven't gotten around to it yet..maybe never.
  How the twin looking?
   Bob23

kchunk

Hey there Sherie,

My '91 cp23 has a bladder too. One of the first mods I did to my boat was add pressure water. The pump and strainer are under the starboard quarter berth and I found a low rise single valve faucet at a local marine surplus store. It was a one day job and quite easy...probably $150 total.

As for your tank, I'd just fill it and check for leaks. The plumbing is nothing special, just some tubing and stainless clamps, available at Home Depot or wherever.

Before I bought my boat she sat untouched for almost two years. The water tank was nearly full. The inner wall of the plumbing was coated with a layer of black scuzz. All I did was topped of the bladder and added a few ounces of bleach, pump a bit through the system to make sure the bleach solution is completely throughout the plumbing  and then let it sit over night. Next morning, pump out the system and refill and it's good to go. I wouldn't drink from it, but it's perfect for washing hands and dishes.

If you're interested, I'll get you some pictures of my pressure water system and details as to where I bought my parts. I know the surplus store where I bought the faucet had a few more. They were $25. If anyone else might be interested, let me know, I'd be happy to run down and grab one for you. It fits just perfectly when the sink is stowed.

kchunk

Sherie, I also have the original hand pump that came with the boat. It works perfectly. If you want it you're welcomed to it  :) .

newt

I will try not to hijack this threat, even though I think most of us are pirates at heart.
Sherrie, I have the original setup with the modification of an electric pump, but I am not happy with it. The sink is too small. What have others done to make a real galley? I am thinking deep sink, maybe double, with foot pump water and doubling the size of our fresh water under the V berth. Then maybe putting the stove on same side and leaving the other side for charts. :)

Mundaysj

Thank You for all the suggestions!
I think I'll just let it go this year.  Next winter it will make a good project.  Before I found the sink I was looking at restaurant supply stores.  I might go back to that search for a deeper sink that will fit.  The "too tiny" sink seems to be a recurring theme... I'll take a lesson from that!
Thanks Again,
Sherie

newt

PS- Sherie I do love the way Compac has made the grey water exits (from the sink and scuppers) above the waterline, and I would keep it that way. It seems to make a drier boat. The big boats I used to sail had a great galley and head, but water always seemed to be dripping in from somewhere.