a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Greetings to all

Started by crbakdesign, October 28, 2004, 01:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crbakdesign

This summer I had the good fortune of acquiring a used Com-pac 16 from an ad on Ebay.  The poor girl was basically on her way to the boneyard, parked forlornly in a auto auction lot.  She had seen a lot of hard times and a good bit of rain water had rotted her inners. But she was still intact and under the dirt and woodrot was a great boat!   Since I was a young armchair sailor I have always admired the looks of a com-pac and I am delighted to own one finally.  Despite her size she has the look of true 'bluewater' boat.  

Not knowing her true name I refer to her simply as "my girl"  to the delight of my daughter who views it as her namesake.

I have sailed dingys in all sorts of waters, winds and weather since I was a boy on Lake Michigan.  I am used to wet boats where reaching for the gunnels is second nature when boarding. But to me the first time stepping into the cockpit of a com-pac 16 was like walking up the ramp of the Queen Mary! To me 16 feet and a broad beam is a big boat!   We had great winds that day and a good bit of chop from the ski boat crowd  during the shakedown and her performance throughout was wonderful.  We have sailed nearly every week since the day her fresh hull paint had dried.  

As an engineer and machine designer, I have had a good bit of fun bringing her back to life.  She is now moored in a workshop/garage.  I machined a roll furler for the jib and added cockpit cushions, new woodwork throughout, a foiled rudder and various fittings where necessary.  I am about to begin the interior work. I intend on fitting her out for coastal cruising.   I am delighted to know that there are so many others who have like interests.  

Currently we are sailing on Lake Altoona whenever possible, Lanier during the winter and expect to sail off Charleston, Georgia coastal and eventually Florida.  

A good wind and following sea to you all.

crbak

dreamchaser

Glad to hear someone who has such a good feeling about Com-Pac yachts,
I to have sailed wet boats, and the difference is truly amazing. after 22 yrs of owning com-pacs I'm as pleased as the day I vrought the first one.

Fair Wind and Following Seas,

DREAMCHASER
Don Perry
CP-16
CP-23

Gil Weiss

During my 35+ years of sailing I have experienced many different boats in all sizes. However, most of my experience is in small and wet type boats.

I got to say, that the ComPac line of boats is really great and the CP 16 is the "biggest sailing small boat" I have ever experienced. My wife and I have sailed our CP 16 through 2 full seasons now and we LOVE this boat! Dry, comfortable and able to handle a variety of situations. It looks great too! (It looks like a sailboat!)

bro t

Hi crbak,
I decided in the summer of 2000 that the canoe and kayak were too little for our family of 6, especially after the wind and tide created a chop that had me a bit white-knuckled coming back across a mile of hypothermia from an island picnic where the treasure collectors put far much ballast in our small craft for western Penobscot Bay (Maine).  The following summer I found a cp16 in front of an old farmhouse on a back road in Maine.  Not knowing much about boat manufacturers, I called a customer/friend who sails a Pearson30, who assured me that the craft and price (2200 w/o motor) were a good deal barring any major damage.  My wife's enthusiasm has arrived in ebbs and flos, and her first insistence was that I knew absolutely nothing about sailing, which was patently untrue, since I had a genuine "Skipper" certification card from Camp Merrowvista (NH) from my early teen years ('69?); I even produced the card to allay her fears.  I have since put her through several attempts at gaining confident seawomanship, but I fear that much remains, seeing that just this week she asked, "...the bow is the front, right?", which brought me to tears, laughing, but not resulting in any hurt feelings!!  However, the boat has also taught me many lessons on her own, as I truly adore the whitecap sailing when most others head for shore.  We have pushed her to see what we can do, and have many fun and funny stories to share about our adventures (mis- and otherwise!).  The end of the first summer we bought a cruising spinnaker, and what a great addition that is for light to medium airs.  While I may have taken off about 28 years from sailing, the lessons at camp were very good, stuck with me, and with the solid feel of the cp16, has given us now 4 great seasons of sailing.  With the tlc we give her, she is in better shape today than when we bought her, and I only might let go if we find a 19 or 23, try it out and like it better.  I know there are other great boats out there, but the cp is the one for me!  (Only fault that many of us would agree, is the lack of lateral plane, but would I trade that for the extra upkeep of the cboard? - I don't think so!).  Happy sailing on your cp16!
bro t. from Upwest Maine

CaptK

Congrats on your new boat, and if you decide you'd like to sail Winyah Bay and check out Georgetown, I'll be glad to share "local knowledge" with you! :)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

mgoller

Hi CRBAK,
Great story.  I had a very similar experience last year in finding my first dry boat.  I sure have enjoyed playing with my 16 and now 19.  I used to play with Triumph sports cars.  That was a chore to keep them from rusting.  And my little kids got little joy from the TR3a and TR4.  
My kids love the cabin in the 16 and the 19.  They play pirate and club house.
What color did you paint the 16?  How did you prep the boat and what material did you use?
Wish you were still up around Michigan so we could rendevous.
Bye

crbakdesign

I posted a couple of new images of 'my girl'. In addition to the hull, I painted the trailer and cleaned/polished the topside and cockpit.  I built a swim ladder out of assembly alluminum and machined a jib furler hub out of aluminum round stock. I assembled seat cushions for the cockpit.  I just finished the foil for the rudder and will be starting the interior work next.  We've had one of those screened in picnic table tents, used only once, which I am converting into a cockpit tent for summer nights.   Unfortunately there's never enough time!

I used a Polyurethane Flat beige for the hull.  I know that's not factory, but it matched the image I had of her in my mind. The anti-fouling red will have to stay for the time being.  A fishing buddy of mine donated the outboard, which at 6 hp is a wee strong for her.  I reinforced the motor mount, but when I get a chance, I want to trade it in for a 2 or 3 hp.