a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ruddrer bushing's

Started by patch, April 10, 2008, 07:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patch

tried to take of the gudgeon's on my suncat to drill the pintels to install the new bushings.the 7/16 bolts are installed blind.they don't bolt all the way through the transom.? is how to i get the gudgeon's off to drill them out,they just spin around.

ontarioSuncat

There has to be nuts on the other end. I don't have a picture of mine but I can't believe Compaq would install them without. I think you need to climb inside.
Lucky mine already had bushings and I just tapped them out and installed new ones. I also added a single long 5/16 hex head bolt to replace the two short ones. This further takes up some of the play in the rudder.

patch

i put vise grips on to hold the bolt's in place at the stern.climbed inside took out the wooden slates were the gas can goes.the bolts do not go all the way through the transom.the gudgeon's are bolted in place,then the hull is layed up over the transom.you cant see the bolts or the nuts.you must have to go in through were the drain pipes go after the bail.compac's are a very well made boat,on a cheaper boat they may just drill through the transom and bolt th gudgeon's on.

ontarioSuncat

What is the size of the gap between the hull and the liner. I added my own ladder, but never got in there myself, Sandra was small so I sent her in to put the nuts on the bolts. So I never looked to the side to see what is down by the transom. I suspect a small gap that I could put a wrench on the nuts. Would not be a fun change out. Before I found my setup already had the bushings I was goning to drill them out with a long drill on the boat to drill both at the same time to take out any issue of them not being aligned.

patch

what i will do is drill out the gudgeon's while they are attached to the stern.a longer than standard bit should do the trick.drilling straight will be the problem.north Carolina sailboat has an article on the drilling procedure.slow and carefull,should do the trick.

JLK

The gudgeon bolts are through bolt, you need to climb into the bilge to get at them. I instelled the bushings on my 2001 SunCat without removing the gudgeon. I carefully drilled out the holes with it in place on the boat. Then I removed my vise from the work bench and used it to press the bushings into the gudgeon.  It worked great.

patch

thanks that my plan.weather up here sucks,boat is ready to go into the water.need one good day.to do bushings, fix mooring and launch boat.water is still 42 degrees up here.if i fall in i want help to drag me out.we take our mooring balls off the moorings for winter.a few more days in the gym will be good for me.