Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Newbie Evans with more specific questions. Need input

Started by Rick Evans, November 12, 2004, 04:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Evans

Fellas,
    I started a new thread just in case nobody was continuing to read my original cry for help.  I hope this is okay with the posting protocol.  Anyway, having had my first day with my new girl, I've got tons of additional questions.  And, thanks to those of you who already gave me a lot of help.  Here's some more.

1.  The interior wood is all but rotted away.  Some hard, brittle foam is exposed where the seats used to be.  Any suggestions?  Cut new marine plywood to fit?  Rip it all out, including the foam, and just put in one large floor board?  

2.  The trailer is a shoreline.  It dosn't have rollers upon which the keel rests. Instead, it just has a carpeted board running down the center.  Is this okay?  Should I try to find a way to replace it with rollers?  Will I be able to launch her the way the trailer is currently configured?

3.  Does anybody have a picture of what the rudder is supposed to look like.  Mine has the original metal slab rudder but the rest is jury rigged.  The pintles & gudgeons are held in my ordinary hardware store bolts and nuts.  The tiller is an old rowing handle bolted into place.  This can't be normal.

4.  Similarly, the companionway wood door to the cabin is long gone.  Some prior owner cut a single curved piece of wood to fit but the sliding hatch still leaves a big gap over the wood.  What was the original like?  Did it have two separate companionway hatch boards like one finds on bigger yachts that slide into place?  Any photos?

5.  The mast has no spreaders. Is this right?

6.  In tapping along the keel, I hear some hollow sounding spots but it appears intact.  Is this normal?

7.  The gel coat is long, long, long past hope I think.  The hull had mottled gray stains all over it.  Soap & scrubbing didn't phase it.  Then I tried some heavy duty rubbing compound.  Still didn't phase it.  So, I tried bleach and it cleaned it up instantly.  She looks clean but dull as a white chalkboard.  Any ideas?  Marcus suggested Penetrol but some fellow in Florida told me that in their heat, it turns brown and looks like heck in a year or so.  I'm in South Texas and, trust me, we know heat.  Does anybody have experience with Penetrol in hot climates?  How about Poli-Glo?  Or should I just resort to paint?  

Sorry to pester you but this is probably the first of quite a few questions I have for you seasoned owners.

tsaiapex

Rick,

Sounds like you got yourself an early  model CP16 Mark I.  It did not come with spreaders.

Regarding the trailer, it is perfectly fine to have just a capreted board, some CP owners prefer that instead of rollers.

Is the rudder assembly still there?  That will be your largest expense if they are missing as they are quite hefty in order to support the equally hefty rudder blade.  You can call Hutchins and they will let you know the cost.  

Companionway hatch is laminated teak vinyl.  It came as one piece.  I cut mine to two (both CP16 and P C19) to reduce storage space in the cabin.

Not sure about the hollow sounding spot on the keel.  CP19 has a bilge at the rear of the keel but not in CP16.

I had similar bad experience with Penetrol as you have described.  I will never it again.  People who used Poli-Glo swears by it but you will have to reapply after few years.

Good luck.

Jeff Tsai
CP19, Mary Grace
Apex, NC

Craig

Rick,

Congrats on the new boat!  Here are my suggestions:
1. I would replace the rotted wood with ply, returning it to orginal configuration.  Cover the ply with epoxy resin before painting.  If the bulkhead that the mast post is bolted to is soft that is a must for replacement.

2. I have rollers on mine.  A friend of mine has a board for his 23.  I like my rollers, but it is probably a matter of preference.  I like being able to move the boat once it is on the trailer.  Rollers make that easier.

3. I will try and take a picture of my rudder set up.  The orignal did have bolts for pintles.  The tiller is laminated ash and mahagony.

4. The original companionway hatch is one board made out of plywood with a tape laminate to look like mahagony.  I made a new one out of plywood.  The cut outs for the slides on the hatch do leave a gap.  I've never had water enter there.

5. If you have the 3/4 rig there are no spreaders.  7/8 rig is 16/2 which also has the bowsprit.

6. Some have reported that the aft end of the keel is hollow.  If water has laid in the cabin and the seal on the top of the keel is not good you may have water in the keel that could deteriorate the cement ballast.

7. How about paint?

Craig