a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anybody fly a spinnaker?

Started by bmiller, May 29, 2008, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmiller

I'm looking at a cruising spinnaker and an ATN sock. If you fly one where did you get it, how does it work, what are the dimensions?
Bill

jimyoung

I have one and it works wonderfully. In light airs I use it as a flying Genoa to about 60 degrees off the stern. I am not sure what the dimensions are, I inherited it with the boat. The previous owner had never used it and could tell me nothing about it. The first time I set it it took a little "figurine out" but after a little research and practice it is a simple sail and fun to fly. With the sock I can even set it by myself if I prepair everything properly before lifting the sock. Lowering it is a breeze. Strongly reccomend getting one.

Craig Weis

I fly an asymmetrical star-cut [ more costly cut, uses more material, but easier on the sail cloth ] spinnaker from SailEast and it came with an ATN sock. It all works well and I simply hank the spinnaker sheet to the stern cleats of my Com-Pac 19. The tack I simply clip to a quick release roped onto the bow pulpit. The halyard is looped through a small Harken block at the ring on the forward face of the masthead aluminum casting and run down the mast to a turning block and to the deck organizer mentioned in the next line. The control for the sock is routed down the mast and through a deck organizer and to a rope clutch fixed atop the cabin. All works well. I think I have a photo in 'skip's Pics' or in the Frappr link found on the bottom of this site's opening home page. Somewhere in the past posts I have a more detailed explanation. Skip